Changing out components issue

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by performancedfw, Jan 8, 2005.

1. performancedfw macrumors newbie

performancedfw

Mac G4 400 with ATA 10 gig system drive also running 2940UW card running two Cheetha drives 4 & 8 gig, CDR drive, Wireless bluetooth keyboard.
    This is what the system of my buddy had and was running.
    I brought over an Apple DVD rom drive, and a 40 gig ATA drive to put in the machine. I powered down the machine and pulled the 2940UW and Cheetha drives and the CDR rom drive. Replaced the drive with the DVD rom drive, added the 40 gig ATA drive as a slave drive and went to restart the computer. Computer started to a blank screen. When I powered down and switched the jumpers to the 40 gig to master and disconnected the 10 gig drive I got the folder image but no further. Tried Pram resets, pulled battery and Pram resets, Placed OSX disk in drive and restarted with "C" button held but nothing. Do I need to reconnect the hard wired keyboard? Is the Blue tooth keyboard not working with the resets? Any ideas or suggestions would be great!!

2. joshjohnson macrumors member

RE: Changing out components

Did you try setting the 40GB drive and the original 10 gig and the DVD to Cable Select? Some macs have trouble with master/slave settings. Make sure the IDE cable you use is set up to work with Cable Select and is set up for ATA 100 or 133 drives for the best speed.

3. performancedfw thread starter macrumors newbie

performancedfw

Yes I first tried the Select mode for the 40 gig drive as a second drive but nothing. The 10 gig drive and cable were the originals from apple setup as the master. I only see one jumper on the drive though. I alway thought to be setup as a master drive it required two jumpers? It is a Western Digital drive.