1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Changing out the iPod Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by swahilibill, Jan 24, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

is it possible to open it up and put a larger hard drive inside? thanks for any input!

I have a original iPod 5GB by the way

2. macrumors 603

janey

ooh i don't think that's possible unless you manage to open the iPod in the first place. Then you need to find a hard drive that's small enough.

3. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I'd say "no" because each of the models is a slightly different physical size meaning each HDD is probably slightly different in size.

Lethal

4. macrumors 65816

melchior

there was some hope of this originally but it has been shown to be much more difficult than anticipated.

while the exact identical models are easily obtainable, the ipod harddrives in fact seem to have a unique firmware and i don't think anyone has circumvented this yot.

5. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

also, i think it's somewhat pointless, because bigger drives don't exist yet, and the drives themselves cost around as much retail as the ipods themselves do, respectively...

could be wrong tho...

pnw

6. Sol
    macrumors 68000

Sol

A little information

I think Toshiba make these drives. I would just buy another iPod.

7. macrumors member

You can replace the HDD with the toshiba ones but you wil no longer be able to use it as an iPod :( :( :(

Apple has formatted the drives with a special partioning system...
    What this means to you and me is you cant replicate it and the iPod update software sees its not an apple HDD :(

8. macrumors 6502a

that stinks, to obad cuase 40GB 1.8s are just around the corner.

Tyler