Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
ooh i don't think that's possible unless you manage to open the iPod in the first place. Then you need to find a hard drive that's small enough.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I'd say "no" because each of the models is a slightly different physical size meaning each HDD is probably slightly different in size.

Lethal

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
there was some hope of this originally but it has been shown to be much more difficult than anticipated.

while the exact identical models are easily obtainable, the ipod harddrives in fact seem to have a unique firmware and i don't think anyone has circumvented this yot.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
also, i think it's somewhat pointless, because bigger drives don't exist yet, and the drives themselves cost around as much retail as the ipods themselves do, respectively...

could be wrong tho...

pnw

Adurbe

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2003
Wales
You can replace the HDD with the toshiba ones but you wil no longer be able to use it as an iPod :( :( :(

Apple has formatted the drives with a special partioning system...
What this means to you and me is you cant replicate it and the iPod update software sees its not an apple HDD :(

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Adurbe
You can replace the HDD with the toshiba ones but you wil no longer be able to use it as an iPod :( :( :(

Apple has formatted the drives with a special partioning system...
What this means to you and me is you cant replicate it and the iPod update software sees its not an apple HDD :(

that stinks, to obad cuase 40GB 1.8s are just around the corner.

Tyler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.