Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Hey,

Here's my problem:

I have an external hard drive running of my Mac (Panther). I have it as a share (sharing it with a windows PC). Anyways. For some reason most of the sub folders/directories and files have the "read only" under the group access permissions. I want the group to have read and write permissions. Is there a way to quickly set this on all the folders and files within the drive??

Also, how do you make it so that when you create a new folder/file in the share that it will automatically create it with read and write permissions for the group?

I noticed that when I put a file on there using my Admin (on Mac) user, the file will default with read only permissions for the group. But if created using a Standard user, the group gets read and write on the file.

Edit: Ok i figured out how to change all the permissions at once, but still don't know how to get it so that when I create a file/folder on the drive it will be given read and write permissions for the group on that new file. Right now it only gives read only permission. Is this possible? :confused:

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Natalia81 said:
Edit: Ok i figured out how to change all the permissions at once, but still don't know how to get it so that when I create a file/folder on the drive it will be given read and write permissions for the group on that new file. Right now it only gives read only permission. Is this possible? :confused:

Go download tinkertool from versiontracker. It allows you to change the file permission mask (read: the default permissions for new files). It also gives you access to other "hidden" preferences. :)

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
"Get Info" on the drive from the Finder. Under the permissions section, you should see an option to ignore permissions or ignore ownership. Check that. It might solve your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.