Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoldenHoya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Berkeley, CA
I'm in a bit of a bind. I take notes in class and need to use the internet at the same time (net based book). Unfortunately, I used a pirated version of word for the first few weeks that I had my mac (until i bought my copy of word). When I got my purchased copy, I removed the pirated version and installed the new one. I didn't pay attention at the time, but it didn't ask me to put in the new product ID.
Now that I'm connecting to the internet (wirelessly) in class, I get error messages saying that it has to shut down my version of word because its already in use (identifying it by product ID/key). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling office a few times, but it never asks me for the product key (i'm assuming that it's using the original) and i still can't use it while my airport is on because i keep getting the error message. Is there any way that I can change the product ID?
Short Version: how do i change the product ID in my running copy of office? I have a legit product ID, I just can't seem to apply it. Thanks!

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Ooh, I had a helluva time figuring out where Office stores it's registration info when I ran into a similar situation--I had the same copy installed on two computers, but when I bought a second copy I couldn't get one to "forget" the old serial number so I could enter the new one.

As it turns out, apparently running the "Remove Office" program that's installed along with it will delete absolutely everything, allowing you to re-install with a new number, but the easier way is to just delete the couple of invisible files that the old info is stored in. Instructions are available here:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/pid.html

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I think it is under ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft
or ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft. I'd remove Office, then remove those directories and reinstall.

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
Use the uninstall program within the MS Office 2004 folder / extra apps(or whatever they call it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.