Changing public perception of Apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LethalWolfe, Jan 11, 2005.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    In the past few years that I've really been paying attention to Macs I've noticed a gradual shift towards the company from not only the mainstream but also PC geeks. I frequent a very large PC forum ( a bit less than I frequent MR and the change in attitude over there has been almost shocking. When I first joined AT in '01 any mention of "Mac" started a huge flamefest. Then it got to a point where it was still a flamefest, but there were pro-Mac people defending the platform. Then it turned into more pro-Mac people and a bit less of a flamefest. Then, probably around the time the G5's came out, you could actually have a civil discussion. Today in the threads at AT (yes threads) there a couple of trolls, but I saw many people say how cool the iPod Shuffle looked, or how cool the Mac Mini looked (and that a Mac Mini might be their first Mac evar). It wasn't all hugs & kisses, but even the anti-Mac trolls were getting beat down by non-Mac users (but possiblely future Mac users from the sound of it).

Has anyone else noticed a change in the public perception of Apple in the past 4 years or so?

2. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    Growing up, I had many anti-Apple friends, and even some relatives, who put Apple down every time the conversation changed from the weather to computers, and that put me on the back foot, especially where my LC575, and PowerMac 4400 came in, I was defending them in one sentence, and trying to accept their decision that Apple was evil and Microsoft were the inevitable choice.

When the G3 iMac came out, my relatives made the switch. Their 233MHz iMac is now running Panther, and is slower than a wet week, but still gets used as their main computer. The best thing is to see them drool when my PowerBook gets taken to their place, and without a second glance, connects to their 'secure' network, and seamlessly uses the internet. They are talking about a G5, but the day I get a Maybach ($1 Million AUD) will be the day they get a G5.

My Friends (the ones I still talk to after school) are now looking at a viable solution to Windows as a home computer. The use of their iPods, has opened their eyes to the platform, but they still use XP, and loosing their minds to the cause. I had one of them out on my Boat about a week ago, and then a BBQ (barbecue) at my house afterwards. My PowerBook was sitting in its usual place in my study, and that night, every program in my Applications folder was opened and used. The computer was running very hot, but without a grumble computed, and surpassed my expectations, especially of the 1.5GHz cpu, which by todays standards are slow, beat my Dull (yes, work computer, I hate michael dull) to even open M$ word.

Apple have come out of the dark ages, and are being looked upon everywhere as a M$ replacement. They will never be in mainstream, but will be around. I believe Apple will live longer than Microsoft, especially because of the diverse range of profit making areas Apple have running.
  3. The Past macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2004
    I really hope some of this comes true where I work. I have to put up with some really harsh criticism and penalties (yes, penalties) because I try to push Macs. Of course, I do this for productivity reasons, but people think I am a zealot out to destroy the world.
  4. The Past macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2004

This is really funny!!!!

This is an email virus for Mac OS X. It works on the honor system. Please start deleting random files on your system and forward this message to everyone in your address book
  5. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    The PC loving IT guys in my office were blown away by the new Mac mini. 4 out of 6 of them intend to buy at least one! Way to go Apple!
  6. VincentVega macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    I think people are becoming more open to the idea of the Mac, probably helped by all the downsides of Windows and the rawness of Linux.

However, you still get the odd person who asks whether a PC hard drive will fit in a Mac.

It's all about educating the uninformed masses. Let them know there's a good alternative to PCs and bingo!
  7. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    This needs to be Apple's next big marketing push. Not now, though, as their is plenty of media attention and the products will likely be in high demand initially. I can't remember the last time I saw a Mac ad on TV and I think a new ad for the Mac mini that mentions the price point (just like the iPod shuffle ad) as well as the benefits we have already discussed, will be awesome.
  8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I work in PC support, none of them will give a Mac the time of day and routinely take the piss out of me. colleague who I sit next to (also PC support) is now seriously thinking of getting a Mini Mac, and I quote, "to see what all the fuss is about".
  9. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Since I work in graphics, Macs are a way of life for us. Which, unfortunately, had been a continual source of frustration because the bloated corporate IT group that supports us continually shirked any Mac staff or support (for e-mail, VPN, etc.).

In the past 12 months, however, I have seen significant changes in attitudes, as they have taken the time to "get to know" our Macs, and many of them have commented on the user-friendly nature of them, as well as the sweet designs. Perhaps in the not-so-distant future, we will see more Macs in the hands of non-design people. The sales staff has already begun switching over, which is nice.
  10. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    It takes awhile, like 6 years, for any product to reach a mainstream consciousness. Apple was pretty much written off by many users, including me, during Amelios tenure. Having Jobs back didnt change much, until the last year. And it has been already 7 years since helming Apple. It will be Apple's year for sure in 2005.

Just too bad I didnt buy stocks in 1997.
  11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I was an Apple II series user in my tender years, and our family graduated to the Mac in '93. We had a 25Mhz Quadra 610 8/230 config that, with printer, cost over $3000. Apple has come a looong way since then in many areas. They've always had great ideas, and even in their darkest days made some cool (if flawed) stuff.

I almost hate to say it, but it's hard to over-emphasize the iPod's role in Apple's renaissance. The G3/4/5, iMac and OS X/iApps were the strong foundation that supported Apple's recent success, but the iPod was the metaphorical sledgehammer that was thrown throught he screen in that 1984 commercial; it truly broke into the mainstream.

It seems to me that nowadays Apple has enough credibility that you can't be ignorant of thier products. You might still bash Apple but you look stupid doing it with that iPod in your hand. I don't hear all the gratuitous Mac-bashing I used to; and all but the most staunch PC users are toning down their rhetoric a bit. I still hear stuff, but it's NOTHING like the bad old days of the mid 90's.

I think 2005 will be VERY interesting to watch, there is some serious growth potential here.
  12. aloofman macrumors 68020

Dec 17, 2002
    I think the the iPod has recently convinced a lot of people that Apple makes good products. But a lot of those people seem skeptical that switching their OS would really help them. They note that they'd have to buy a bunch of new software all over again or their favorite game isn't available on the Mac yet. Sometimes we need to remember that the cost of switching is prohibitive for some people.

I'm similarly part of a graphic design group (almost all Macs) within a larger company (PCs for 99% of the rest). The tech support people are mostly hostile and we've basically had to run our own support system because of that. The guy they gave us to maintain our machines and network was the guy with the least seniority. Basically they threw us their scraps and we've got a guy that doesn't even like Macs, but is forced to work with them. This doesn't exactly make him a joy to work with.

One reason there are so few Macs here is that this a software company that makes products for Windows and UNIX, not OS X. (Although there are some Java- or UNIX-based products that will make apps that run on OS X.) Interestingly, the company used to make software for Macs until the early- to mid-'90s and there were good graphical reasons for maintaining a Mac version. But during those dark days about 10 years ago when Apple got pretty arrogant and difficult to work with, this company stopped developing on the Mac side. There are few users who are demanding Mac versions of the software, so they don't. So this is one of those software companies that Apple permanently alienated back in the Job-less era.
  13. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    From the PC side of things, there didn't used to be any reason to even look at Apple. Coming from the Dark Side as I do, I can tell you how it's gone down (and yes, I know these statements aren't necessarily fact, so no flames):

Back when, in the "beleaguered" days, Macs had an unfamiliar operating system (you can't talk "intuitive" to people who don't WANT to have to figure anything out, and memorize steps to get anything done) and proprietary connectors and ran different software. They were those "other" computers that no one used except the graphics department at work.

Then Steve came back, and there was the iMac. Cheap, cute, easy and connectable enough that ordinary folks said, hey, how about this iMac thing.

Then there was OS X and the TiBooks, and the geeks said, hey, they've got Unix on those cool laptops over there, on which I can also install Linux.

And then there was the iPod and the iTMS, and the debate over digital music paused and said, hey, look what those Mac people over there have.

Then Apple gave the Windows masses the iPod and iTMS, and they said, well hey, no matter what I think of Macs, iTunes and my iPod absolutely rock.

And suddenly these people remembered that there was a store in the mall with a glowing Apple logo on it, and they wandered in and looked around, and said hey, these Macs look pretty cool, and PC Magazine and Consumer Reports even agreed.

But up until now, it's mostly stopped there, as soon as the Windows masses see that none of the Macs they're seeing in the store have a sticker price much under $1,000. They've said, well, this Mac stuff might be cool and all, but Dell will sell me something for half that, and WalMart's selling Linux knockoffs for even less.

Now is the moment where people have heard of Apple, have used and liked an Apple product, and will go in an Apple store to find a computer for a price they're used to, packaged in a cute tiny box with a handle that invites you to pick it up and take it home. A box that looks almost like an impulse purchase, like not much more than the iPod they already have.

Apple needs to push marketing for this to get people in the stores, and get the Mac mini price out there. It's exactly the right moment in time--all those potential Switchers need is a nudge, a commercial or two, a promotion or a campaign.