changing quality sizes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by anamznazn, Jan 25, 2006.

1. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

i ripped all my CDs at 192 bit rate...and i think that's a bit too much for my ipod. so i was wondering if there's any program that can convert my already MP3 files to a smaller bit rate files in a different folder? i'm on a PC by the way.

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Really the best way is to rip them all again. Otherwise you'll get (extra) sound degredation. But yes, iTunes will rip them all again if you change the bitrate in the preferences, and then choose convert from the advanced menu.

3. anamznazn thread starter macrumors regular

anamznazn

well...yea, i could rip them all again. problem is, i don't have half the CDs in my music collection. it's made up of mine, friends, and family collection.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=175405
    especially
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2084404&postcount=3

Now, same suggestion applies to you -
    1. transcode songs (loss in quality)
    2. rerip songs (not possible)
    3. only put some of your music on your iPod
    4. get a music player that holds more music

now, i think #3 is most reasonable, considering how
    1. i'm pretty sure iTunes transcodes to get songs to fit on the Shuffles
    2. The shuffles are the only iPods where it would make sense to ask a question like yours...

odds are, every time you plug it in to recharge your iPod, you either already hook it up to your computer, or it would take all of 3 seconds to do so. do you really need (at least) a minimum 2 gigs of music (which is actually a lot) all the time? Sure, it's nice to have all your music on your iPod, but really? I have a 40gb, and I sure as hell don't listen to all the songs on it, neither could i listen to all those songs inbetween charges (would take me an unreasonable amount of time, especially if it was all unique songs, 24/7 - to the tune of over a month, not including the lower-quality audiobooks and the podcasts), nor have a need to do so.