Changing short user name?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacBandit, Dec 18, 2002.

1. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

In 10.2.2 how do you change your short user name. In the Accounts control panel when you edit your user you can then enter your password and change your name but it will not let you change your short user name.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I doubt you can since your whole OSX profile is setup around your short username. There are no doubt many pref files that contain your username etc, not to mention your home directory.

3. MacBandit thread starter macrumors 604

MacBandit

Yeah I realized that but still hoped that it could be changed.

My father is using my B/W G3 with 10.2 on it and he signed in to the Admin account I created so I could do updates and things. Well now he has it all set up and he wants to change the short name because of home user folder and all of the other related items show a generic name I put on the admin account.

It's been like pulling teeth getting him to try OSX. We're now just finally having normal conversations about it rather then arguments. I would hate to tell him that he will have to reinstall OSX and start from scratch or even create a new admin user and then redo everything he has done.

He is one of these people that wishes Apple had never advanced the system beyond 7.5. He can't understand why 7.5 doesn't work for everyone.