Changing soon! PB here I come G4orG5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rschapel, Feb 16, 2004.

1. rschapel macrumors member

Well it's offical, I am going to be a switcher sometime soon. Worked it out with my wife (the finance lady) and I will be set to buy my new PowerBook some time in March. (BUT, I am NOT buying till the next update, what ever that might be)

While I don't honestly think I'll see a PBG5 before the end of the year, I would suspect Apple will be doing some updating to the current PowerBook line. What do you think they are going to be doing to it? From what I understand the G4 is at the end of its speed bumps, is this correct? If so should we be seeing some faster hardrives/superdrives/Video? I am just kind of wondering becuase while I doubt that G5 will "be in there" fall/winter 2004 I can't see Apple going a YEAR without updating the PowerBook line.

I have decided I am not going to wait for the G5 laptops, while I would love to have one, I will be doing DVD and iMovie type stuff and the current line of G4's have been doing this fine for a while now. I am more instrested in the Mac's OS, and video friendlyness than "my computer runs laps around your computer" I'll be just as happy saying... look what my computer helped me make ;)

So what do you think we'll see in the update? When would be the next event that they would anounce updates like this at? I just don't want to buy a laptop thats already been out there 150-160 days, I can wait a month or so till the next updates hit the streets.

Looking forward to posting to other groups as well!!

--Randy

2. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

the fastest G4 apple has used is 1.42 GHz, on the last Power Mac G4. i don't know if that's cool enough to run in a PB. it can't be that much hotter than a 1.33 though.

ATI is expected to announce (or just did announce) a new gfx system for laptops, the mobility radeon 9700. so that should be in the next PB update (at least I hope it would). i don't know if faster slot-loaded superdrives exist. i assume HDs would get bigger.

the next big show is apple's world wide developer's conference (WWDC) in late June or thereabouts. however, if all they are introducing is speed-bumped PBs, this could happen at any time (usually on a tuesday).

oh, and, welcome!
    :)

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

There are at least 2 major threads about powerbook/G5 upgrade speculations if you want to read all the goss.

We just don't know when Apple will do it, could be tomorrow, could be October...

4. kos macrumors newbie

I gonna buy one in july i just hope that they have been updated with the G5 or i could wait and fly to america have a holiday and save alot of money next year.