Changing soon! PB here I come G4orG5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rschapel, Feb 16, 2004.

1. rschapel macrumors member

Feb 5, 2004
    Well it's offical, I am going to be a switcher sometime soon. Worked it out with my wife (the finance lady) and I will be set to buy my new PowerBook some time in March. (BUT, I am NOT buying till the next update, what ever that might be)

While I don't honestly think I'll see a PBG5 before the end of the year, I would suspect Apple will be doing some updating to the current PowerBook line. What do you think they are going to be doing to it? From what I understand the G4 is at the end of its speed bumps, is this correct? If so should we be seeing some faster hardrives/superdrives/Video? I am just kind of wondering becuase while I doubt that G5 will "be in there" fall/winter 2004 I can't see Apple going a YEAR without updating the PowerBook line.

I have decided I am not going to wait for the G5 laptops, while I would love to have one, I will be doing DVD and iMovie type stuff and the current line of G4's have been doing this fine for a while now. I am more instrested in the Mac's OS, and video friendlyness than "my computer runs laps around your computer" I'll be just as happy saying... look what my computer helped me make ;)

So what do you think we'll see in the update? When would be the next event that they would anounce updates like this at? I just don't want to buy a laptop thats already been out there 150-160 days, I can wait a month or so till the next updates hit the streets.

Looking forward to posting to other groups as well!!

2. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Jul 24, 2002
    the fastest G4 apple has used is 1.42 GHz, on the last Power Mac G4. i don't know if that's cool enough to run in a PB. it can't be that much hotter than a 1.33 though.

ATI is expected to announce (or just did announce) a new gfx system for laptops, the mobility radeon 9700. so that should be in the next PB update (at least I hope it would). i don't know if faster slot-loaded superdrives exist. i assume HDs would get bigger.

the next big show is apple's world wide developer's conference (WWDC) in late June or thereabouts. however, if all they are introducing is speed-bumped PBs, this could happen at any time (usually on a tuesday).

oh, and, welcome!
  3. aswitcher macrumors 603

Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    There are at least 2 major threads about powerbook/G5 upgrade speculations if you want to read all the goss.

We just don't know when Apple will do it, could be tomorrow, could be October...
  4. kos macrumors newbie

Feb 14, 2004
    I gonna buy one in july i just hope that they have been updated with the G5 or i could wait and fly to america have a holiday and save alot of money next year.