Changing sound profile (especially the startup tone)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rcm3, Nov 8, 2006.

1. rcm3 macrumors member

Sep 19, 2006
    How do I change the sound profile in OS X? I can't seem to find anything that addresses this in the 'System Preferences', but maybe I'm just missing it in my traditional n00b fashion.

Specifically I want to change the startup tone to something else. I don't know why but I just don't like it. Its the little things right?.......

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    You basically can't do it. The sound comes from the ROM even before the OS loads. Technically, it's called a POST (Power On Self Test).
  3. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
    Sound profile? Without 3rd party software you can only change the alert sound.

I think there is or was a utility that lets you change the startup sound, even though it's not part of OS X but rather part of the hardware. Can't remember what it was called. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

You can use something like Xounds to add or modify the user interface sound effects.
  4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    If muting is an option its volume is controlled by what the sound level was set to on shutdown. There is a little program out there that will mute it for you on shutdown then restore it on boot-up.

However changing it means changing the firmware possibly....thats IF it can even be done. Don't expect to be able to do it. Its no different then how some PCs beep when they turn on except its pretty! :D