Changing Specs on Items on Sale

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macbaseball, Apr 27, 2005.

1. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Is there a way to upgrade through apple.com on sale products. I'm looking at the old dual 2.0 Power Mac and wondering how to upgrade parts. I don't like upgrading through apple, but for some stuff it's necessary. For example, I would like to get a 250 GB hard drive, but the 2.0 comes with a 160 GB. I could buy one through a thrid party dealer, but then I would have to deal awith the hassle of selling the 160 GB.

I like the new model, but the only thing that concerns me, is only 4 RAM slots. I would like to upgrade the RAM when I first get it, and then when I get more money, upgrade again, but the only problem is that I would have RAM without slots. Then I would have to deal with selling it etc.

Anyways does anyone know how to change the specs ...

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No BTOs in the Special Deals section...

And you do not "have" to sell the old drive, there is an empty SATA drive bay and DIMM slots in the machine.

If you don't plan on upgrading the RAM or the drive for quite awhile, there's no reason to sell the stuff.

---

If you want to change the specs, buy a new machine in the Apple Store for full price. Then you get to pay more -- but get what you want.

3. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Ok, thanks. Is there any advantage to having one hard drive vs. having 2 hard drives.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, if one drive crashes you can lose everything instead of just the stuff that is spread over two drives.

If you bork the OS on one drive, you don't have a 2nd drive with a backup OS to switch to.

5. benwa02 macrumors 6502

I would say that 2 hard drives are superior to one. But that is just my opinion.

6. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

This is making it so much harder to decide. I always thought that having two hard drives would make it a lot slower, but I guess not. They're both great machine ... now I just have to pick one.

Another question: I noticed that the old Dual 2.0 comes with a 64 MB video card. Where could I buy either a ATI Radeon 9600 w/128MB DDR SDRAM or a ATI Radeon 9650 w/256MB DDR SDRAM. Or would the 64 MB be sufficient.

7. benwa02 macrumors 6502

having two hard drives should not make any slight performance difference. just as long as they are both the same speed like 7200. its just nice to keep your stuff seperate like seperating the OS from other stuff.