Changing Startup sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sundance Kid, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Can't- actually, nobody has yet. It dosn't mean it won't happen, and be a pretty cool hack. Early versions of OSX allowed for startup sound to be added via a third-party program. I currently just run an Apple script in the background, using System Prefs-->Accounts->Startup to get it going.

The best you can do is this Mute Start Up - as found in these forums.

You could change the startup sound if you could decode the firmware and find out someway to reincode it, but from all I have read (from the 9.0 days) it's nare impossible to do.

If you find out otherwise, please post. I really hope to be corrected (for anything other than grammer and spelling).

Cheers.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That sound is built into the ROM. You cannot change the startup chime for any Mac, you've never been able to change the chime on any Mac in history.
    Sorry.

You used to be able to add a startup sound in Classic, by adding a system 7 sound file to the extensions folder or system folder. But those days are gone now.

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Rather than posting a script, just use the AppleScript program to record you lanuching Quicktime and playing a sound. I use a QT movie that masks all of the other programs I use at launch. I think it's pretty cool.

5. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

cool guys thanks for your help :)