Changing the computer name in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by shadowfax, Nov 25, 2002.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

hey guys, i just have another barrage of mac questions....

how does one change the name of one's computer after the install? mine seems to have named me "<user's> computer" without asking me during the install. i would like to call it something else, even if just "localhost"--that would sound more unix-y, and lord knows i like unix.

my dock is growing a little bit too. i found that program "docking maneuvers" or whatever it's called, but no one seems to have mirrored it and the site to DL it is down. anyone know any alternate programs to slide the dock along the bottom to the left or right, or can someone PM me/post a way to get this program?

i'm learning how to change icons in X, somehow that was MUCH less intuitive than it was for me in winXP, but then that makes it one of the few if not the only such feature. one thing though. i paste a custom icon into an app, right? but suppose i want to change it. dang, you can't! so i got online and figured that out.. you have to delete the pasted one to make the default come back before you can paste ANOTHER on. but the problem i have is, when i paste a new one on after removing the old (using delete key NOT cmd-x) it puts the one i just took off back on. i have to totally restart to change the icon after that--at least, that's the only way i have found that works. i can't find info on this online readily, so i thought i'd ask the gurus. any ideas?

anyways, on my rant, it's been almost a week since i got the powerbook. it's awesome. it's been one heck of a learning experience, and i am excited that they may have some windows printing abilities on the new build of OS X--i badly need that, the methods suggested to me to print to my PC haven't gone over well. i am thinking of just getting a print server... when i get the money.

i spent the day picking out icons for my dock... i like it quite a bit, i'll post a screenie someday.

one question on that topic. what's the best free ftp program you guys have seen for OS X?

sorry that was so much, i'm just a newbie :D

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Okay, Apple has put the place to edit the computer's name in a odd place this time.. go to the Sharing panel in System Preferences. There should be a field called Computer Name.

I thought I had seen that dock manuever thing a loooong time ago, but as no one seemed to talk about it, I thought I had been dreaming.. thanks for letting me know I wasn't crazy! If you find out how to get it, tell me!

I have noticed the icon bug recently too.. it really bugs the hell out of me (no pun intended :p). I am hoping Apple fixes this soon.

As for a FTP client, I personally use the Terminal.. just type ftp and the server's name.. but, of course, not everybody is ready to mess around with Unix, and as you're just settling in with your new machine, I suggest you keep that for later. Many people have said that Captain FTP is good... I suggest you try that.

irmongoose

3. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

thanks a ton, lol. that's a funky place to put the computer name, i have to say. the weird thing is that there is no documentation on that. i tried to look it up in help and couldn't find it anywhere. there wasn't anything on the apple KB either. guess not too many people care to change the computer name.