Changing the default 'open with' application.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by keyshawn, Sep 6, 2005.

1. keyshawn macrumors member

Hey,

After I installed Hexedit, all of my dmg files had the default 'open with' change to the hexedit app. I changed the 'open with' for one of my DMG files in the folder, and now it opens with the DiskImageMounter - which is all good.
    However, ALL of my dmg's were changed, and after I changed one of my dmg's, the rest still have the default 'open with' with hexedit.

Is there a way where I can change all of the DMG's to open back up with

Grr...a cavaet of the simple installation of programs - hexedit didn't even notify me it was going to change the default 'open with' apps !! [i'm pretty sure programs on linux and windows never pulled that one on me :p]

I'm thinking there might be an applescript which does this, but I'm not sure if there's easier way or I'm just confused....

thanks !

regards,
    keyshawn

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When you changed one of the disk images, there would have been a small Change All button underneath - click it. This sometimes doesn't properly take effect until you've logged back in although that's a pretty rare problem.

Oh, and Windows does this to me all the time without asking FWIW.

3. keyshawn thread starter macrumors member

I didn't see a 'change all' button when I changed a disk image, but I did see a 'Open All with' which is probaly the same thing, reworded. I did click that and then rebooted, but still have the same problem. Thanks for your help. It's no biggie, just a bit annoying...

regards,
    keyshawn

[ note to self and search engines: DiskImageMounter is a hidden system file, so it won't come up in search. In Tiger [10.4.2] , you can locate it in: System > Library > CoreServices ]