Changing the Itunes mp3 format

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Batman2900, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Batman2900 macrumors newbie

May 29, 2005
    Is there a program I can use to change the mp3 format used by Itunes. My car stereo reads mp3's, but it won't read whatever the coding used by Itunes it so I'd like to convert my music to the standard. Does anyone know of a program that does this?

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    two things to check:
    1. that under Prefs > Advanced > Importing it is actually set to mp3 (as opposed to AAC which is i think the default setting)
    2. you'll need Prefs > Advanced >Burning set to "mp3 cd" when you burn them (as opposed to a data cd)
    If they are already it's a mystery - mp3 is mp3 as far as i know.
    Maybe the discs you're burning to are not compatible? i know Sony doesn't like -R discs that are the norm for Macs (and Pioneer)
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    iTunes preferences -> Advanced -> Importing: Change to mp3 at desired bitrate.

Then you may select the songs you want to convert and use Advanced -> Convert Selection to <whatever>...

Just note that you will lose quality when converting from aac to mp3, so the best solution is to rerip from CD (or at least keep the old aacs and kust use the mp3s for making mp3-cds for the car)... :)
  4. Batman2900 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 29, 2005
    Thank you all for the replies. It helped a lot :)