Changing the "Kind" of document in OS9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomasp, Jun 11, 2005.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I've got an MP3 file on my hard drive created with Audacity, but when I double click on it, I'd like it to open up in QuickTime player, rather than Audacity.

When I go into "Get Info" the file "kind" is an Audacity document, whereas I'd like it to say "QuickTime document" (or anything that makes it open by default in QT)

Is there any easy way that preferably doesn't involve buying QuickTime Pro to change which application this file (and in future, any file of this type) opens with by default?

I'm using Mac OS 9.2.1.

Thanks for the help :)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you want to change is the CREATOR code for your Audacity-generated MP3 files. The
    More File Info contextual menu plug-in will do what you want. IIRC, it requires a restart after installation. After it is installed, here is what you do:

1. Control-click Audacity. Choose More File Info from the pop-up menu.
    2. You will see two codes. One is APPL. This is the TYPE code. The other four-letter code is the CREATOR code. Write this one down if you can't remember it.
    3. Now control-click on an MP3 file. Change the CREATOR code to Audacity's CREATOR code.

Notice that the icon has changed. Double-click on the MP3 file. It will now launch Audacity.

BTW, if you select multiple files, you can change their CREATOR codes en masse. However, the number you can change at once is limited until you pay the shareware fee.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that link :D

I'll install it later and see how it works.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

ResEdit lets you change kind on files already created. It's set with a four letter code which is very easily changed with ResEdit. Just find a file which has the wanted creator, and use the code that has to change the other files.

5. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Additionally, if you only need to open the file in QuickTime once, you can of course always drag and drop it onto the QuickTime application.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

ResEdit is not intended to alter data files like MP3 files. ResEdit is intended to edit files with resource forks. These include applications, desk accessories, control panels, fonts, and any number of other types of files with resource forks.