Changing the links in the sidebar in finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcw, Jun 16, 2006.

1. pcw macrumors member

Anyone know how to change ie Pictures in the finder sidebar to point to another location than ~/Pictures ?

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

you can drag and drop any folder you want into the sidebar.. liikewise take any folder out of the sidebar.

3. pcw thread starter macrumors member

Yes I'm aware of that but I'm talking about the specific folders that already are in the sidebar. How to change the links of those folders. Not to add or delete other folders to it.

4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

But that's the way you do it. The link to the Pictures folder IS to the Pictures folder (as stupid as it sounds). If you want a link to another folder, then drag this link out of the sidebar and the other folder in. Changing the link doesn't work.

5. pcw thread starter macrumors member

Well hope they fix that in the upcoming finder for Leopard. That's just stupid because people can have external drives with their Music and Pictures libraries...

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, I didn't work with external drives yet, but isn't it possible to drag the folders from these drives into the sidebar? Why don't you do that?

I don't think (yet) that this is a bug.

7. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I just tried it, it works fine. I don't see the problem at all.

8. iHotu macrumors regular

I think he wants to use the same Icons with the external drives.

Use the copy/paste method with the Get Info windows to change the icons.

Now a real bug is that you cannot change the Computer icon, everyone still gets the old iMac G4.

9. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

1. that's not a bug thats apple's choice default.
    2. /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/iMac.icns

10. iHotu macrumors regular

Do not change this file unless you know what your doing. After changing the default file to a powerbook book icon, my system preferences have had a mind of its own.

Thanks for that, I was able to switch that file with a proper powerbook icon!

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Just select the hard drive on the Desktop, and copy and paste in the new icon. Your custom icon will even show up when the drive is mounted over a network.

12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um...no...

No it's not...

If you're using an external drive to store things, just make an alias of the folder and drag it into the sidebar...

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The alias step isn't necessary. Simply drag any folder, volume or file you want in the Sidebar to the Sidebar. Essentially, all of the icons in the Sidebar are aliases.

14. iHotu macrumors regular

That works for most icons, but not the Computer icon in the Finder side bar. For some reason Apple has everyone using the old G4 iMac icon for their computer. To use a custom icon, you need to create your new .icns file, name it iMac.icns, place it in the stated location and restart.

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Explanation...

Sorry, I was referring to the practice of keeping your Pictures folder in the same place on your internal drive but having it point to an external drive...did that just make sense?

It saves any hassle when/if you have to use different drives.

16. iHotu macrumors regular

Just a warning if anyone else wants the try this, I have noticed a few odd system changes after I performed the above switch and restarted. My .mac account was deactivated in Mail, the up/down arrows preference was switch to together and the smooth font setting was changed to 4. I could change everything back, still thought I should post quick warning.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I didn't do that, and it worked just fine. BTW, I assume you mean the hard drive icon, which is default named "Macintosh HD" on a new Mac, not the "computer" icon, which sounds like a Windows thing.

To clarify: To change the HD icon, you need to select it in the Finder, Get Info, and select the icon in the Get Info window. Now you can paste any icon you wish (AFAIK) in its place. It will show up automatically on the Desktop, but to get it to show in the Sidebar, either reboot, log out or restart the Finder.

18. iHotu macrumors regular

The Computer icon can be selected from Finder->Preferences

I have replaced the default G4 iMac with a new (but a little small) powerbook icon. Not a big deal, but I always thought it was weird that Apple still used this old icon, BTW they also still use the old cinema display icon for Displays in System Preferences :rolleyes:

19. pcw thread starter macrumors member

I think we're referring to the same idea here but I don't quite get what you mean. Make an alias of the ~/Pictures folder that points to the picture folder on the external drive? The shortcut in the sidebar still refers to ~/Pictures. Can you explain step by step what you mean?

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Step by step...

Okay...starting from scratch...

In your Users folder, drag your original Pictures folder to your external drive. Then make an alias and drag that alias back to your Users folder where the Pictures folder originally was. Delete the alias on your external and RENAME the alias in your Users folder as Pictures (it should then change to the original icon).

Now, pull the Pictures folder off the sidebar and replace it with the alias that is now in your Users folder. Does that make sense?

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Doh! So it can. Oddly I have never made this selection on any Mac I've owned, so I completely forgot it existed. Not sure I see the advantage of it over the HD icon, which is easy to change.

22. crjackson macrumors member

I have a similar question, however mine deals with when it is in a "save as" window. I have two [Desktop] icons in mine, one leading to a hidden folder which has been deleted. I'm not quite sure how it got there, it might have been when I turned filevault on and then off right away perhaps? In any event I'd like to remove it from the sidebar in the Save As menu.

Anyone know how to do this?

23. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh....

Open up a new window in the Finder (command-N) and just drag the unwanted icon off (just like you would in the dock).

24. crjackson macrumors member

Did that and no go. The unwanted folder does not appear in finder, only in the Save As window in any program. I tried dragging the Desktop icon out of Finder to see if maybe the unwanted one would dissapear from Save As, but much to my suprise two Desktop links still appeared in the sidebar, however in a different order. Putting the desktop icon back in the finder menu makes the order of my icons back in place in the Save As window.