Changing the Menu Bar Logo

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mal, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No, I don't want either graphite or blue. Does anyone know where the menu bar logo is located in OS X and how I can access it to change it? I've been heavily modding my desktop for the holidays, and that's the last thing I've got my heart set on changing. It would really complete the look, but of course CandyBar isn't that advanced, and I can't find anything about it online so far.

jW

2. 0010101 macrumors regular

In an office I used to work years ago, the secretary would put a little sticker on the upper left hand corner of her screen for the holidays. A pumpkin face sticker around October.. a Turkey dressed up as a pilgrim around thanksgiving, a basset hound with antlers on it's head around christmas.. you get the idea.

Of course, she was running at like 800x600 so it covered the general 'Apple Logo' area quite well.. might be hard to find small enough stickers if you're like me and run at 1600x1200. :)

I don't know that it's as easy as just swapping a graphic image file.

3. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

1. Get themepark http://www.geekspiff.com/software/themepark/
    2. Open the file: /System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras.rsrc
    3. Search end edit ID 2030 "Root Menu Center".
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

* I assume that you back up the extras and of course set your permissions to make changes to this and the parent folder.

This is the direct method and probably be easier just to get Shapeshifter or another theme creation package and edit in there.

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

If you don't want the hassle of doing it yourself, I second the recommendation of Shapshifter. I used it on my Powerbook and thought it worked really well (I used the Chocolate Milk theme)

5. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

I decided I didn't want to pay for ShapeShifter, hence this thread. I'm not worried about hassle, I'm adept on the computer, so I'm gonna take a look at ThemePark, but I was thinking that was a paid program too...

jW

6. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

Ok, so I figured it out in ThemePark, changed the logo in Carbon.framework, and... it only shows up in one app (MacLampsX). That app is the only non-UB that I have running, so I'm wondering if I need to change the logo in a second place. I looked around though, and I can't seem to find another location that has that Extras.rsrc file to edit.

jW