Changing The Way My Mac Looks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phishndave, Jun 18, 2006.

1. phishndave macrumors member

I recently became interested in transforming my mac. I really want to "dork it out" Change the icons, add cool apps, personalize my dock, personalize pretty much every option of my computer. How dxo i go about doing this? Any good ideas or software?? I already know about shapeshifer but thats all i know. Any help would be great. I need to know how to change things, and where i can find cool mods. Thanks.

Drew

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

ummmm try google or search on here....
    i was gonna say shapeshifter but u already have that

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

You can use Candy Bar to change most icons, which is the one I use and I like it alot. Its free for upto 20-25 changes I think, but its super cheap to buy and its a good program. Enjoy. If your looking for icons, I normally go Here for some pretty cool icons.

4. theorem7 macrumors member

Here's a nice little downloadable PDF guide that takes you through everything about Mac OS X GUI customization and gives a lot of good recommendations about how to do everything. It's somewhat outdated, but almost everything mentioned still applies or still exists.

5. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

If you don't mind getting down and dirty with system files, replacing the .icns files in certain packages will change the default icon of certain files. For instance, in System/Library/CoreServices/Coretypes.bundle, you can change the default icon of folders, not to mention the finder icon and the trash icon. Nearly all of the icons in OSX can be found and changed if you look hard enough. Start by typing "locate .icns" in Terminal (without the quotes). That should get you started. To make icns files, try Iconographer. Works great.