changing themes...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BiggeeC, Apr 8, 2003.

1. BiggeeC macrumors regular

hey everybody. Feeling comfortable with my Mac, and I want to start messing with it. Well, not really, but for a casual user like myself, it's a big deal. So I want to change my theme. I downloaded this sweet black and white theme, but I have no idea how to put it in. I downloaded ThemeChanger, and some other thing, but it doesn't make any sense. Something about creating a theme folder? Do I just make a new folder and call it Themes? Someone, if you have the time, please explain it to me like a child, so that I can learn to have some fun with my Mac. Thanks
    Chris

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I think you're probably being confused by paths. On OSX, the path "/Library" would mean "in the Library folder". "/System/Library" would be in the Library folder in the System folder. ~ means your home folder. Theme changer needs a folder called "Themes" in one of the Library folders, I can't remember which one. Then you just put the themes that come with Theme Changer in that folder.

3. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Create the Themes Folder

When I started using themes with OS X, I used MetaMorphX, and it created a /Library/Themes folder automatically. When I got my iBook, I installed Duality, and it created the themes folder as well. Does ThemeChanger not do this?

Just Curious.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

i originally used Themer Anche and now i'm using Duality because it works very well.
    do you by any chance know where i can get more themes?

5. The Shadow macrumors regular

I used Themechanger recently and encountered the same problem, which I solved.

Hang on while I go have a look where I put everything.

EDIT:

In Finder, go to User Name/Library and create a folder called Themes (As suggested by an above post) then drag the folder with the theme files in it (eg Brushed Metal) into your new Themes Folder.

Then launch ThemeChanger and your will see the name "Brushed Metal".

Something like that.

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

7. The Shadow macrumors regular

Sorry Shadowfax, I've only used those same sites you've got there.

There was another site that gave me the link to Max, but didn't bookmark it, so it's gone.

BTW, what does "Shadowfax" mean?:confused:

The Shadow

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

for all Mac OS X themes in one bundle. got to www.resexcellence.com/themes

There is Duality 4 GT, its great, its pretty fast and it supports the new xscheme, the next generation in theme for OSX. Built using themestep which was made by conundrumsoft (the same people who made duality)

Themechanger is great, its fast as hell and works with most of todays themes. cept for xscheme