Channel 4 to screen bodily decay

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Nov 3, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The other show mentioned at the end of the article might draw more controversy! :p

The dramatization of the novel Sugar Rush

However...
    To your request for thoughts and comments.

Why do they need to show all of this on TV to do the scientific research. That just sensationalizes it and reduces the research to pandering for ratings IMHO.

2. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I know... Channel 4's great isn't it... :eek: :p

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hmmm... I wonder what channel that is on my ComCast Cable?? :rolleyes:

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I guess Channel 4 has been reading their mail. :)

5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Channel 4 always does controversal shows like this. Well done! I say! 1) The people are volunteering 2) you don't HAVE to watch the program. Plus, we shouldn't be afraid of death, afterall its the only certainity in life.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

For students the human anatomy dissection will be very educational. The bright spot of the project. I wonder if they will embalm the body first, since that is how decay occurs in this country. Don't think that this film will hit the mainstream in the US. Personally I would find the dissection and decaying very educational and interesting. The rest would be of no real interest.

8. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I saw a show on HBO a few months ago where some scientists created a 3D image of a human body. The corpse was an executed criminal, who was young and had no damage to his tissues upon death, which is fairly rare.

They took the pictures by preserving his body and then slicing off very thin strips and taking pictures of the exposed cross-section. Then they assembled all the images digitally to create an internal image of his body. They could take any cross section in any direction and get true-color images. It was pretty wild.

9. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Wow, this seem pretty bizarre and rather interesting...but it seems a bit strange that doctors shouldn't have done this kind of experiment before?! I thought this was what forensics knew all about...

I'm not sure I completely understood what will be going on. Are they gonna film somebody the very moment he dies... and then, how long will they go on filming... hours, days, weeks :eek: Now that would be something, big brother goes 6 feet under. They would have to think carefully about the environment where they keep the body though - too many ants around and their revolution in reality-tv would be over way before the 100 days...

A

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't get HBO. So I hope that they will release this on DVD. Sounds like in my case it would be well worth the price. I really enjoyed my time assisting the pathologists doing autopsies.

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

No... death and taxes.... ;)

I have to say, based on personal experience, death really sucks. Really, plain and simple I hate dying. Long time of people crying over you, long time of blackness, and then if you end up in heaven the freakin bureaucrats take forever finding you a new body. I was in limbo for a total of 200 years. :mad: Hell is worse, though, there they try and make it last longer. I haven't been there but their line is three times as long and they only have one clerk...

No I am not crazy. Well, maybe a little. :p

12. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

(I didn't see the show, but i'm assuming it's this....) yeah, it's called the Visible Human project and has been going on for over ten years now from what i remember....at first they took a body and sliced it every millimetre i think, now they have bodies of both men and women but instead of slices, they ground down the layers so the "resolution" is much much better. i believe this is their site... here

as far as the Channel 4 doc, good on 'em. I wish there was "Channel 4 America" like the BBC has done. I always used to love their documentaries... wasn't Equinox a Ch4 one? QED was BBC right?? both great programming.

13. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I know :D Hell is awful. It's 24/7 those "Trip or fall anywhere - no win no fee" Personal Injury lawyer adverts.. yes you are FORCED to watch them 24/7 till you want to die all over again-but cant! Oh wait... that's earth.