Channel Five Baby Being Born Live!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mac-Addict, Oct 8, 2006.

?

Is channel 5 showing a live baby being born wrong?

1. Its completly wrong and disgraceful

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Its natural let them get on with it

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. I dont really care im not watching it..

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

For anyone who is in the UK switch to channel 5.. i swear this is wrong.. they are going to show a baby being born live on tv.. with the.. and the.. Ew.. Live on national TV.. How do you think about it.. is it wrong or not..

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

well all the blood and the ew.. well maybe its just me i dont know its just.. ewish to me..

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Is it wrong? No...but do I plan to watch it?(assuming I got that channel, which I don't) No

Its not like its a terrible thing, its how people are made, if you can deal with that, I wonder how you are in the bedroom?;)

5. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ohh my friend wouldnt you like to know :p now but I dont know its just a bit.. with the baby coming out all blue and in blood.. Maybe im just a bit scared of blood :p

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I had a quick look on Channel 5 just now. I don't see anything wrong with it or with the general idea. I usually find live / reality TV a bit boring anyway (even though Harold Pinter the playwright said Big Brother was 'the ultimate stage drama.' )

I was on SeeHear (deaf magazine programe on BBC2) last week talking about baby sign language, and as part of the segment, they interviewed a deaf guy and his mum, and showed footage of his birth, very graphic, full exposure as he came popping out of his mum's muff.

That was on TV last Saturday at midday. He was pretty cool tho, about 17-18, said he had no problems with his birth being shown on national TV :)

7. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I see they've factored in two hours for the birth. I hope mother times it just right... :rolleyes:

EDIT: ah I see... they're filming whoever pops out on the ward. Nice. The style is awful, like 24 hr news shows... "And now we can switch LIVE to Gaby, who has the latest updates on Angela's Caesarian..."

8. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

The producers stands over the mothers womb looking at his watching saying "You better hurry up or god help me i will pull this contract!" xD

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm sorry to drag this off topic, but one of the babies has just been born – via caesarian, in fact. I think they're hoping to actually get a natural birth broadcast too but obviously these things don't always happen to schedule. ;)

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Did they do a C section because it needed to be done or because the programme was nearly over?;)

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably the second, TBH it would have been better if they recorded it, though i don't have a problem with it it would probably be very boring TV...

12. steveimp macrumors newbie

My little boy Lewis was born at that hospital at the start of last month - he was born there specifically because he was not expected to survive birth, yet we took him home a week after and everything is "day to day" with him given the condition that he has.

A lot of the staff featured or seen in the background actually helped us too.

The staff at that hospital particularly in the neo-natal and intensive care departments are fantastic and deserve as much help, money and support as possible.

13. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I didn't see the programme, but if it was done properly it can be a valuable educational tool.

...Then again, we're talking Channel 5.

EDIT: Thanks to the mods.

Rich.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aw I missed it. I'm not disgusted by it, I'm very intrigued by it. I've never seen a baby being born before and I'm curious to see it all "pop out". I'd probably cringe like hell through it though!

If you think this is wrong then I sincerely hope you never watched Plastic Surgery Live. Especially the face lifts... I sat down excited to watch that and just squired and ran downstairs to eat some lettuce. Lifting up faces is just a little *too* much for me, oh and Gunther Von whatever cutting up bodies for TV. Good show.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Science class 8th grade we watched a video on birth(baby being born was in it)...they way the should it in the video in my 8th grade class was a bit weird. The had the mother talk to the video then BAM baby's head sticking out....not that it was bad, just none of use thought it was going to be shown when it was.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Apparently we were to watch it but the video was lent out to another class and somehow got lost. So the school did try, it was just in some spotty kids bag :D

17. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I've watched all three of my children being born, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Even though they were stressful events. Especially the first: 50 hours labour. No lie. The last time the other two children were present (then aged 5 and 2). In fact I have all three births on video. Of course we stood behind my wife's head during the birth so I didn't video anything 'gory' except the babies covered in a bit of blood and whatever. But I really think a birth is something that just doesn't belong on TV. It is gory, anyway you look at it. The gore and pain is soon forgotten for the baby that enters your life, but for third parties to watch it in their living rooms just seems nasty to me. Any other fathers disagree?

18. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

the mom in that video was way too calm.