Chaos Computer Club Bypasses Apple's Touch ID System (With Copy of Original Fingerprint)

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 22, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Chaos Computer Club claims to be able to bypass Apple's new Touch ID fingerprint sensor with a photo of the original user's fingerprint. The bypass is demonstrated in this short video:

The system is detailed in a how to which requires obtaining the original user's fingerprint:
    Apple's new iPhone 5s includes a fingerprint sensor called TouchID, which can be used to unlock the iPhone as well as make purchases on the Apple iTunes store. Users, however, can continue to use a pin or password as an alternative to the fingerprint sensor -- though that is arguably even less secure than duplicating someone's fingerprint.

Article Link: Chaos Computer Club Bypasses Apple's Touch ID System (With Copy of Original Fingerprint)

2. macrumors 603

Michaelgtrusa

3. macrumors 6502

Ouch.

Impersonating a user by doing that would be very, very bad.

4. Eddy Munn, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

Oh dear! At least they won't be ripping my fingers off any time soon.
    Of course it's ridiculous, maybe that wasn't apparent in what I said.

5. macrumors 68030

cmChimera

6. macrumors 6502

syan48306

Honestly, kocking someone out and using their finger or holding them at gun point results in the same thing. No password, print or pin is safe. It's just a good way to minimize pesky intruders. That's all.

7. macrumors regular

8. macrumors regular

xDKP

With that shaky a hand, he must be faking this!

9. macrumors regular

So a 2400 DPI photograph of the fingerprint is required? I wouldn't call that 'bypassing'.

This just in, every single passcode system bypassed by first acquiring user's passcode.

10. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

which is in itself ridiculous. Phones get stolen and then wiped and sold. You are not that precious a snowflake that someone who steals your phone, wants to read your texts. :)

arn

11. macrumors newbie

So it's that simple... :rolleyes:

12. macrumors member

Huh? Haven't we known this is a way around these sensors?

I have a way to bypass a password too...Look at the post-it of a users passwords and copy them down. Then type it into the iPhone to bypass the login.

</sarcasm>

13. macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

Still more secure than a 4-digit passcode...also, maybe this is new information...but NO security protocol is flawless, there is always room for improvement.

I mean come on! The device is activation locked, fingerprint locked, and in a secure app environment...I don't see how people can say that Apple devices aren't the most secure consumer-level smartphones.

14. macrumors 6502a

So much for the whole "it scans under your skin" explanation.

15. macrumors regular

Shaky finger gave me anxiety.

16. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Pretty intense process to purchase apps under my App Store account!

17. macrumors 601

goobot

Wait, did they lift the print off the phone or actually photograph the guys finger? If it is a photograph then this means nothing...

18. macrumors 6502a

19. macrumors 6502

So as long as one has access to the actual finger and whatever the heck can take pics at 2400dpi, one can make a "working copy" of it. Seems easier to beat the **** out of someone for the 4-digit passcode.

It's still pretty damn secure no matter what anyone says. The fact that the code is still a measly 4 digits is the weakest link of all.

20. macrumors G5

Rogifan

How is a 2400 DPI photograph of someones fingerprint an everyday item? I'm sorry but this is click bait pure and simple. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

So basically, you need a few thousand dollars, knowledge, and time to break into the device. Yes, this seems like a real threat for 99.5% of people :rolleyes:

Unless you can place someone else's thumb and get through, TouchID works. Apple designed this for consumers, not to protect the countries nuclear facilities

22. macrumors regular

Is he being held at gunpoint while doing this? Shaky...

23. macrumors member

Came here to post this

24. macrumors member

25. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Well said. No security is perfect. Touch ID will still be a strong protection against most intruders.