Chappelle's Show is "over, man. Done."

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sol, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Charlie Murphy confirmed the end of Chappelle's Show during a TV Guide interview as reported by ABC News.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1005179

Last Monday the Charlie Murphy true Hollywood story about the basketball game with Prince was aired on the SBS channel. It would have been great if Prince was interviewed like the Rick James segment. Can anyone tell me the name of the music guest from that episode? He was bald and sounded like Shaggy.

I hope we do not see Chappelle do a Rick James movie or anything like that. It would be a hit but he is too good for that. He should play a serious part in a good movie that will have the award nominations mailed to him every week for the rest of his life.

I would also love to see Chappelle work with Jerry Seinfeld. Maybe they could interview each other for a magazine or television show. As entertainers they both used controversy in unconventional ways. They have also made their mark on popular lingo; there are soup Nazi's and people claiming to be Rick James everywhere.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

A lot of people talk about quitting near their prime --- when they're considered to be at the top of what they do. Many shows, like Friends for example, say they're quitting when they hit their prime. It's not really true, though, because people already started questioning the material well before they quit.

In this case, Chappelle really did quit while at the top. Not a lot of guys can say that. People are going to remember his material for years and years to come. Decades, perhaps. Its an abrupt ending, and people always pine for more when a show, band, or person doesn't disappear due to a lack of interest. It's like Kurt Cobain, Biggie, Jeff Buckley dying or something.......if they didn't, would people idolize them as much as they do? That's one of the reasons many people pray that a guy like Eminem doesn't get killed --- he'd be idolized forever. I'd rather watch the "Weird Al of rap" fade away over time, as is happening right now.

But that's another subject altogether. My point is that Chappelle just made himself infamous if he never picks up his show ever again.

3. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

Infamy

Chappelle is infamous for his work so far. After all, you do not see many black Ku Klox Klan characters on the other shows on television. A little more infamy would not do his career any harm. Lies published in supposedly credible magazines like Entertainment Weekly are more likely to hurt his career. When I read things like that I think that some members of the media should spend a few weeks in a South African mental health facility.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

After the collosal contract he signed with Comedy Central, I'd be very much surprised if Dave Chappelle was "over, man. Done." Maybe the Chappelle Show, but Dave will be back. You can't keep a funny MF down. Funniest guy I ever met.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you really think we'll be talking about dave chapelle for decades?? :confused:

i wasn't under the impression that he was leaving that much of a mark on society...

6. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

the whole "IM RICK JAMES B!TCH" thing kinda stuck a fork in it.. at least for me..

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's funny, but I dunno if people will be talking about it two decades from now. Think about what the comics are like from two decades ago, that people still talk about today?

I really like Chappelle. I dunno. I respect his decision to move on, and hope he finds something he likes.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think so and I don't even really like a lot of his skits. The fact remains that at least here in the Bay Area, you can't get through a 24 hour period w/out overhearing at least one Chapelle referrence. Honestly.

He has crossed certain boundaries w/ his show that have now enabled less daring tv networks to encroach and use those traditionally taboo topics and/or specific words as well.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Terrible news, I loved his show. Well, at least each episode will be cherished more, now that there are so few of them. In some respects, it makes the show more meaningful I suppose...

I wonder if Comedy Central will air any of the Season 3 shows that were already filmed?

I'll miss ya Dave! :cool:

10. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Three things immediately came to my mind. Fans of these three comics should pick 'em out.

"People say to me, they say, 'Sam? Aren't you worried that you're going to go to Hell?' And I say, 'Hell? I WAS MARRIED! HELL WOULD BE LIKE CLUB MET!'"

"You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favour. Go home tonight take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause You know what the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL ****ing high on drugs... "

"Religion easily—has the best ******** story of all time. Think about it. Religion has convinced people that there's an invisible man...living in the sky. Who watches everything you do every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a list of ten specific things he doesn't want you to do. And if you do any of these things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer, and burn, and scream, until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you. He loves you and he needs money."

I don't know Chappelle, really. *shrugs*

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I never, ever thought Chapelle was remotely funny. That's just a personal preference, though.

However, a comic that I will personally truly miss is Mitch Hedburg (sample). This man was funny. You just had to hear him...

12. Angelus520 macrumors regular

I'll take a stab - Sam Kinison, Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy, and George Carlin?

13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Nah, the drugs one is Bill Hicks.

"The Beatles were so high on drugs they even let Ringo sing a couple of tunes..."

may he rest in peace

14. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    That Bill Hicks stand-up was on On-Demand(comcast) not sure if any of you have it. The whole damn show he did was superb i laughed like crazy, i laughed so hard i couldn't keep up with his jokes, yea he was great

15. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Damn!! I missed it. I've been waiting for that episode. I'm a big Prince fan. Prince did latter comment in an interview about that sketch saying it was true. And apparently he also made fun of Dave Chappelle at a concert (that Chappelle was attending). Despite being a little kooky, Prince does have a great sense of humour.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I didn't want to start the anti-Chappelle bandwagon, because I actually really enjoy his comedy, but I do have to admit that your man Mitch is really funny. :)

17. vixapphire macrumors 6502

wow, that's who said that?

oops. pays to read the whole post before replying... :eek:

18. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

The Rick James episode was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.. 'Cocaine is a hell of a Drug' LOL :D

For any of you die hard Chapelle fans, there is an Adium sound set you can download. I have extracted some of the sounds and am currently using 'I'm Rick James, Bitch' as my login sound.

aussie_geek

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

So half of Season 3 was filmed - any thoughts on whether it will be aired or not? I think they would be stupid not to. And then release it on DVD, they'd make a killing...

20. Merf macrumors regular

Is sticking a fork in something good or bad? I'm lost....

Merf

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

To "stick a fork" in something means something is finished or completed. Therefore, what CubaTBird means is that after he saw the Rick James sketch, he thought the show had basically reached the end of its life - hence, "stick a fork in it". The Rick James sketch, for him, signified the show was over - "stick a fork in it, it's done". (Unless of course he doesn't know the meaning of the phrase and misused it. :p ;))

Here are some definitions if you're interested. :cool:

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

I miss Mitch. :( I had the priviledge of seeing him twice. He's one of my favorite comedians ever.