Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
London
so anyone out there started working on, or know of how to do chapter menus on mp4 videos like the itunes movie downloads? ? i would love to put these on my handbraked movies!

josephabennett

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
I can tell you what hasn't worked...

Adding chapters via Quicktime Pro, in the method described in their documentation, does not work. That only creates .MOV files, which is a different mechanism for chapters, and is not recognized by iTunes/iPod.

I can also tell you that MP4box.exe (a windows program) also does not work. This creates chapters in the output, which at least one player on Windows can play (Windows Media Player Classic), but does not create chapters that Quicktime recognizes nor chapters that iTunes/iPod recognizes.

So, 0 for 2 so far. Anybody else have any luck?

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
yeah... I actually noticed this with my ipod 5th Generation... with that new update my home movies done in iMovie that have chapter markers actually show up when i am trying to scroll in play and when I click "next" on my iPod it moves to the next chapter. Pretty cool... But i dont know about full fledged menus... maybe try and do something in iDVD than export it to .mov? orr Try a "link" type thing in keynote and put your movies there than export it as an interactive slideshow in quicktime?

josephabennett

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
chapters from iMovie work, well, that's a start!

if the chapter format of iMovie works on the new iPods, then this is a start. That means if I (or anybody else) can figure out how iMovie multiplexes chapters into the output mp4, then we just need a program that does that, and we're good. OK, let me dig into that and see what i can find.

norville

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
...if I (or anybody else) can figure out how iMovie multiplexes chapters into the output mp4, then we just need a program that does that, and we're good. OK, let me dig into that and see what i can find.

Have you (josephabennett), or has anyone else figured out any more on this? I too was doing some experiments with muxing text tracks in with mp4 streams using mp4box, but I couldn't come up with anything that iTunes or iPod would recognize. I took some MP4 files (actually AAC audiobooks) that had working chapters a la Apple's ChapterTool, and extracted the raw text track... the data looks a bit odd--like regular 3GP text samples, but with a "Text" sub-type on the track and some additional binary data tacked on the samples' ends--but maybe with some patches MP4Box could be persuaded to embed similar text tracks. Anyone tried this yet? Is it worth a try, or do you suppose there's something else unique going on with how the data is actually muxed, that mp4box would have a hard time emulating?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.