Chapter Titles for viewing DVD on TV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by page95, Dec 29, 2006.

1. page95 macrumors newbie

Hello! I have a Powerbook G4 running OS 10.3.9. with a 60 gig hard drive. (Plus, an external harddrive that I do not have with me currently, but will next week).

In order to digitize my tape a friend with a PC encoded it for me (I don't have the equipment to do that myself) and it became an mpeg-1 (a 1.5 gig file). I used mpeg Clip Stream to convert it to Digital Video (a 16 gig file). Then, in Quicktime Pro I followed the instructions to add chapter titles (by adding a text track).

The problem is that in order to execute the last step and "save as a self contained movie" it will create a 33 gig file, and I only have 20 gigs free.

Questions:

If I wait until next week to save this to an external hard drive as a 33 gig self contained movie will iDVD allow me to import that file in order to burn a DVD for viewing on a TV?

If not, do I have any other options that will allow me to add chapters to this file? I have iMovie 4, iDVD 4, Mpeg Clip Stream, and Quicktime Pro (with the Mpeg-2 add on). That is it unless there is another preloaded program from apple that I haven't found yet, but I doubt it.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Bring the DV file into iMovie and add chapters there then share it to iDVD. I'm not sure "share" is the proper menu item in iMovie 4 - it was changed to this in version 5 or 6 - it might be export or send to iDVD.

3. page95 thread starter macrumors newbie

iMovie

I tried to use iMovie but I get this message:

"It is more than 9-1/2 minutes long, which would be more than 2 GB once converted to DV. iMovie clips must be less than 2 GB in size. You can use QuickTime Pro to break the movie into smaller pieces, and then import the movie in segments."

I was hoping that wouldn't be my only option in order to set the chapter markers because the movie is 1 hr 23 min. and that seemed labor intensive to cut and import.

Any other suggestions?

4. page95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any other ideas?

Before I sit through my 90 minute moving cutting it into 9 minute chunks to import into iMovie I thought I'd check in to see if anyone else had an alternative to solve my problem! Cheers ~ Sarah

5. live4ever macrumors 6502a