Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Am I correct in thinking that while you can sync the 3G iPod via USB, it'll only charge via a FireWire cable (or the FireWire to AC adapter)?? ...unlike the Nano and current 5G models.

I was trying to consolidate my 3G and 5G connections (one USB-to-iPod cable), but discovered that my 3G wasn't charging (not even an animated battery indicator), though it charges just fine in its FireWire dock. The 5G charges over the same USB cable just fine.

I'm thinking I'll be stuck with two separate docks. Hmmm... :brick:

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
My 3G charges fine with a USB Cable. Don't know how to help you, just make sure everything is plugged in properly, sometimes my 3G can be off the dock a little bit and do absolutely nothing.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
One thing you probably need to make sure of is that the USB cable for the iPod is plugged into a POWERED USB port, if you're using a USB hub... an unpowered port might not be able to supply power to the iPod beyond that used for data transfer, or it might supply just a trickle of the usual amount (resulting in VERY slow charging or inability to charge when the iPod is running).

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Yeah, from my personal experience 3G iPods need FW to charge. I travel frequently so I have a Griffen powerPod in my car that I use to charge it. Now that I will be selling this iPod to my cousin I will probably have to get myself a little better deal...

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Only 4G and above charge via USB as I recall. That was one of the major reasons they stopped including the firewire cable, as once charging became possible using USB, there was no longer any need for it by the vast majority of their customers.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Ah... found it:

Note: Only iPod mini, iPod (Click Wheel), and iPod photo can get power from a high-powered USB port using the supplied cable.

(Obviously not updated for the nano or 5G models)
Apple's iPod battery FAQ.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
xraydoc said:
Ah... found it:

Note: Only iPod mini, iPod (Click Wheel), and iPod photo can get power from a high-powered USB port using the supplied cable.

(Obviously not updated for the nano or 5G models)
Apple's iPod battery FAQ.

Ah, great sleuthing! Thanks for finding that for all us lazy people here! :D

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
im_to_hyper said:
Ah, great sleuthing! Thanks for finding that for all us lazy people here! :D

Problem is, that is from after the 4Gs had hit the market, so it really tells nothing about his particular iPod because it doesn't talk about 3G iPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.