Charge iPod with USB our wall outlet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JarinS1, Sep 23, 2006.

1. JarinS1 macrumors member

A friend of mine purchased an iPod from Best Buy the other day and the salesperson persuaded her to buy a wall charger because charging it with the computer (via USB) is hard on the battery. Is there any truth to this? Has anyone had any performance issues resulting from charging an iPod with the computer? Thanks.

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

3. Sobering macrumors regular

Sheesh what a scam. Tell her to bring that wall charger back.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

it is a lie. and she should take it back.

however, if she travels frequently or is ever not without a computer for a period of time, she might discover/realize that she wants one. i use mine when i travel without my notebook (which is more frequently now that it's such a pain to travel with).

5. coal macrumors regular

coal

That is ridiculous.

Old iPods used to require a wall charger if the firmware was reset, but the new models don't have that requirement.

Have your friend return it immediately and try to refrain from retailers like Best Buy. They're trained to sell things that you do not need and are really an unnecessary relic in an age of internet retailers.

6. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

That's a lie (in case it hasnt been said enough) but I know WHY! with USB you get 5 volts of power to use with, well, whatever you have plug into it. And on the wall charger, it also has an output of 5 volts. so your getting the exact same thing. :)

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I wouldn't take it back - they're still a useful thing to have - but that saleperson told an outright lie.

I really wish Apple would do some sort of product familiarisation with at least the larger retailers, there's so much crap spouted by the staff at these big department stores.

8. sparcnz macrumors newbie

Not Apple Products for Charging

On the subject of wall chargers, I have in the pile of spare wall plugs I have floating around is a couple of USB wall plugs for other gear I had.
    Instead of throwing them out I store to be used one day.

I brought my daughter an iPod but did not want to buy a wall charger on the price of the item, and I also knew I had some USB ones at home.

I was then told that I should buy the iPod one because of the connector on the end. Nearly suckered into it after I was told it charged from the laptop anyway.

So here I am, before I plug the USB connector into the wall plug and blow the iPod up, are these safe to use?

Specs are AC 100-240V 50/60Hz 3w input
    DC 5.2V 400mA output

Thanks for your advice.

Kevin.

9. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I am guessing that the salesperson meant that it is hard on the computer's battery, assuming that you are charging the iPod from a laptop.

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Even that is ridiculous.

Anyhoo... Being a former Best Buy employee (my college job), I had a really hard time with the place, ethically. What would happen is that managers would devise urban legends about a variety of products in order to promote the sales of accessories and extended warranties (and this is where any big box store makes the majority of their profits). Things like "you need a case for that phone, otherwise it'll break if you drop it."

Now wanting to sell attachments isn't a bad thing per say (everyone has to make a living), but there's better ways to do it without making the customer feel victimized in the sale. The trouble is that big box store employees get very little field training and the majority of them are teenagers and college students that don't envision a place like Best Buy a solid career choice. They'll take the little that they're taught and treat like gospel. A shame...

Do I still shop at Best Buy? Sometimes, if I need something I need in a hurry and I happen to be in the vicinity of one. But most of the time, no. Frankly, there's other B&M stores in town that consistently have better pricing and service. Kinda makes Best Buy's name an oxymoron...