Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The ChargeCard began as a Kickstarter project that was funded last summer. At the time, the product only offered support for Apple's 30-pin connector and Micro USB as Apple's new Lightning connector had yet to be introduced, but a new version for the iPhone 5 that supports Lightning is now available for purchase.

chargecard.png
Designed to fit inside of a wallet, the ChargeCard is twice as thick as a standard credit card. It comes equipped with both a USB plug and a foldable Lightning cable, allowing the iPhone 5 to be charged via any available USB port.
Lightning ChargeCard is your iPhone's new best friend. Your iPhone 5 is your most important tool, but it's just glass and aluminum once your battery dies. With ChargeCard, you'll have a Lightning cable with you at all times, so you can juice up from any USB port and turn that glass back into an iPhone.
Currently, the ChargeCard is not MFi Certified, and it should be noted that the current beta version of iOS 7 warns users when an unauthorized accessory is used.

The ChargeCard retails for $24.99 and can be purchased from BiteMyApple.co or directly from the manufacturer's website.

Article Link: ChargeCard iPhone 5 Charger Fits in a Wallet

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
The keyring only connects your phone to a computer, which means you have to have your computer with you at all times to get a charge. The ChargeCard, which I first saw on Kickstarter, requires nothing but a card you carry in your wallet/pocket. Big difference.

Uh, what? They both connect to a usb port. It shouldn't matter what usb port.

Slight Edit: It might be worth noting that the key is inflexible, which makes it not the most ideal thing to hang the phone from. However, I don't think the card gives that much better of an option hanging off USB ports

Last edited:

JBunkers

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2008
In the middle
Pay attention!

The keyring only connects your phone to a computer, which means you have to have your computer with you at all times to get a charge. The ChargeCard, which I first saw on Kickstarter, requires nothing but a card you carry in your wallet/pocket. Big difference.

Umm, news flash! The ChargeCard is NOT a battery, you still need to plug it in to a USB port on any computer to charge your iOS device, just like the other keyring device mentioned.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Anyone been able to order one through their website? I just get an error that something went wrong and my order doesn't go through.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I won't use it, if it's for when you are at work then you can just leave any normal usb cable around for the appropriate device.

If it's to use on the go, then I would have to ask someone in that place to lend me a computer or a power brick. I guess is cool if you need to carry a cable and brick w/ you everywhere then you just really have to carry the brick only.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Umm, news flash! The ChargeCard is NOT a battery, you still need to plug it in to a USB port on any computer to charge your iOS device, just like the other keyring device mentioned.

ummm "news flash" (love it when ppl say that, like humor, i guess) but I did confuse this product with another which contains battery and is tiny, which works well on a film shoot since it's in my pocket any/every where, though small charge but enough for emergency.

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
Well, this isn't going to play nicely with the replace-your-wallet-with-your-smartphone movement...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.