Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babyt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
texas
i have the macbook pro in my soggy and just today my charger has stopped working. It was plugged into my mbp, when i noticed there was no light coming from the charger, i pulled it off and it was EXTREMELY hot to touch [the connector to the macbook]
my charged is not frayed or anything.
i have let the computer and charger cool down but it is not charging my computer at all.
This happened a little while ago, i unplugged it and then replugged it and the light came back on, but shut off again. Now it is not working at all.
Im using the extended cable piece, but i am about to attach the piece that hooks onto the brick and try and see if that works.
Could it be my computer or is this all cord?

edit: alright plugged in from the brick piece and it lit up for a second, but i moved my computer and it went off..and isn't working now :(

but i see a dull green light when i pull the plug out of my computer, on the cord.... i dont know if temps could be keeping it from charging. but im running netflix and chrome which is keeping it around 190 degrees Fahrenheit

last edit. turned off netflix and chrome..running safari turned fans up and got it down to 130 degrees.. now my computer is charging.. i really don't know what happened..and i don't have an apple store close to me..is this something i should call applecare about? or just make sure it doesn't run hot again? thanks

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your Mac can use both AC power and battery during periods of peak power demands. This is why you may find your battery may temporarily stop charging or even drain somewhat, even though you have your AC adapter plugged in. This is working as designed and will only be used during periods of peak power demands.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

babyt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
texas
Your Mac can use both AC power and battery during periods of peak power demands. This is why you may find your battery may temporarily stop charging or even drain somewhat, even though you have your AC adapter plugged in. This is working as designed and will only be used during periods of peak power demands.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

no clue what that means... that when I'm running intense things it won't charge?? my computer was at around 40% charged. i turned off ALL programs and it won't charge..it only seems to charge for about 5-10 minutes before getting too hot and shutting down from charging.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
no clue what that means... that when I'm running intense things it won't charge?? my computer was at around 40% charged. i turned off ALL programs and it won't charge..it only seems to charge for about 5-10 minutes before getting too hot and shutting down from charging.
  • Yes, it's possible that it may not charge, and may even drain somewhat during intense workloads, even if it's plugged in.
  • It's normal that the charger gets very hot while charging.
  • It's also normal that your Mac gets very hot under heavy workloads.
  • The fact that it starts charging when you unplug/replug or move the plug would indicate you may not be getting a secure connection between the plug and your Mac, or that there is a short in the cable. Make sure the connections are clean and secure. See the Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters link in the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.