Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2015
I got my new series 2 Watch and all is well. MY original watch I had to send in for repairs and just got it back today. Put it on the charger and it won't charge. Messed with it to no avail. Put it on my wife's original charger and it seems to charge. Put it back on my series 2 charger and it won't charge. I dug out my old charger and it again seems to be charging. Is there a difference being there is a bigger battery in series 2? I also get this message on series 2 charger ( To use this accessory, upgrade watchOS via the Apple Watch app on your IPhone.) DISMISS
One thing I have noticed is the series 2 cable is a lot shorter if that means anything.
[doublepost=1475000411][/doublepost]on old charger I went from 9% charge to 46% charge so decided maybe its was so low that was the problem. Just switched it to new charger and cable and the same message popped back up so hit dismiss and it went back to not charging. Put back on old charger and it charges fine without the message. Once I get it fully charged I will update to OS3 and try again to see if it will work on new charger.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple intentionally shortened the cable on the series 2, likely for costs related reasons. As far as charging your Gen 1 Watch goes, it could be for different capacities, but I would guess it still should charge as normal. That's a good question for Apple.

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2015
I can duplicate the problem 100%. I'm now updating the original to OS3. If it don't do it anymore than there has to be a difference.
IMG_4055.JPG
original

Last edited:

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2015
Finished updating original to OS3 and now the watch will charge using the series 2 charger and cable. Charger looks the same but the cable is shorter and must be something else inside different. How else could it tell that it was on the 2 charging system? I'll try it again tomorrow after Watch discharges to about 30%

Last edited:

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2015
But I did say original watch then referred to it as series 1. No matter what Apple says it was the first Watch.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
But I did say original watch then referred to it as series 1. No matter what Apple says it was the first Watch.
The series 1 is a new and current :apple:Watch and calling the first :apple:Watch an original series 1 is like calling the original iPhone an original 3G or an iPad 1 an original iPad 2.;)

Reactions: profets

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2015
You call it what you want. My post so I'll call it what I want. Bottom line I found what could be a problem for someone else and the answer.

Reactions: jamdex

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
You call it what you want. My post so I'll call it what I want. Bottom line I found what could be a problem for someone else and the answer.

That is great that you found an answer, but there are 3 versions of the apple watch. The Original, Series 1 and Series 2

You seem to think the Original and Series 1 are the same watch, it would be helpful if you were in fact clear.

I understand...You probably confuse the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and iPhone SE, but they are not all the same either.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm using a gen 1 charger for my series two. I swapped chargers with my wife because my desk is in a position where I needed the longer cord and she didn't. It works with no issues on both devices. She has the gen 1 SS 38mm but it is on OS3.

I point this out tonday that the chargers shouldn't change how they charge. Or at least they haven't for me.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I would guess that other than cable length the pucks are the same. iFixit didn't even do a teardown on the new puck. Keep in mind the Series 1 doesn't even come with a charger puck at all so you MUST use an original, Series 2 or accessory puck in order to charge. The OP must have just experienced some type of anomaly.

Also while don't have SKUs to check the current $29 accessory charging puck looks to be the same as it has been since the original (S0).

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
That is great that you found an answer, but there are 3 versions of the apple watch. The Original, Series 1 and Series 2

You seem to think the Original and Series 1 are the same watch, it would be helpful if you were in fact clear.

I understand...You probably confuse the iPhone 5, iPhone 5s and iPhone SE, but they are not all the same either.

To be fair, this is mostly Apples fault. Anyone who doesn't read detailed Apple News will be confused by this.
Series 1 clearly implies it's the first watch.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
To be fair, this is mostly Apples fault. Anyone who doesn't read detailed Apple News will be confused by this.
Series 1 clearly implies it's the first watch.
Apple has done this before with the iPhone. The iPhone 3G implied the 3ed iPhone and not the 2ed. Even now the iPhone 7 is the 10th. Only the iPhone 4 was correct and the 4th.

Also we are here because we are more interested in Apple details and consider it our mission to be more informed than the average Joe. If we are going to coherently discuss the :apple:Watch we MUST properly identify which one we are talking about.;) We can't just call them what ever we want.

• S0 or original (1st gen)
  • S1 or Series 1 (2ed gen)
  • S2 or Series 2 (2ed gen)

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I would guess that other than cable length the pucks are the same. iFixit didn't even do a teardown on the new puck. Keep in mind the Series 1 doesn't even come with a charger puck at all so you MUST use an original, Series 2 or accessory puck in order to charge. The OP must have just experienced some type of anomaly.

Also while don't have SKUs to check the current $29 accessory charging puck looks to be the same as it has been since the original (S0).

Wait a sec, the Series 1 doesn't include the charging puck or charging block? I thought (well assumed) it was the USB 5W charging block that wasn't included.

Edit, my bad, should have just checked online first. Not shipping the magnetic charging cable would have been as stupid as Nintendo not shipping the charging adapter with the newer 3DS.

2i1zgbs.png

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Wait a sec, the Series 1 doesn't include the charging puck or charging block? I thought (well assumed) it was the USB 5W charging block that wasn't included.

Edit, my bad, should have just checked online first. Not shipping the magnetic charging cable would have been as stupid as Nintendo not shipping the charging adapter with the newer 3DS....
My bad for some reason (called bad memory) I was confusing the wart with the puck.:eek::D

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2015
Maybe that's why original won't work with series 2 charging system till it's updated to OS3.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Maybe that's why original won't work with series 2 charging system till it's updated to OS3.

That's pretty interesting. I wonder if there's something different in the magnetic charger for the Series 2 with bigger battery. Maybe a faster charge rate and the original watch needs OS3 to be aware of the updated charger?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if there's something different in the magnetic charger for the Series 2 with bigger battery. Maybe a faster charge rate and the original watch needs OS3 to be aware of the updated charger?
Technically the charger is inside the :apple:Watch. Any power regulation up unto the maximum amount available is regulated inside the :apple:Watch. The puck is just a power supply for the charger.

This is the same for (almost) all lit-ion batteries (charger built into device next to batt). Even notice how Apple calls it "Magnetic Charging Cable" and not Charger.;)

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Technically the charger is inside the :apple:Watch. Any power regulation up unto the maximum amount available is regulated inside the :apple:Watch. The puck is just a power supply for the charger.

This is the same for (almost) all lit-ion batteries (charger built into device next to batt). Even notice how Apple calls it "Magnetic Charging Cable" and not Charger.;)

Yes - good point! Maybe the new magnetic charging cable is capable of higher throughput and the Series 2 has a faster charger within it? I guess that would be interesting to test, an original and S2 side by side given the S2 has a significantly larger battery.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Yes - good point! Maybe the new magnetic charging cable is capable of higher throughput and the Series 2 has a faster charger within it? I guess that would be interesting to test, an original and S2 side by side given the S2 has a significantly larger battery.
Possible but I doubt it. Unless the induction coil has been redesigned the power supply (wall wart) is the same. If the coil was redesigned it would probably not be compatible (just internet engineering and may be wrong) with the S0. Also Apple is still selling the same accessory puck for all :apple:Watchs and denotes no differences or compatibility in any line.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Possible but I doubt it. Unless the induction coil has been redesigned the power supply (wall wart) is the same. If the coil was redesigned it would probably not be compatible (just internet engineering and may be wrong) with the S0. Also Apple is still selling the same accessory puck for all :apple:Watchs and denotes no differences or compatibility in any line.

I wonder about that. Given that it takes roughly 2 hours to charge the 0.93 Wh battery of the original watch, its definitely not using the full draw available from the 5W supply. I think it would be possible for the induction coil in the magnetic charging cable and the charger in the S2 watch to be improved for a faster charge?

I only feel like something is happening as the original watch asks for an update before using the magnetic charger from the S2 box. With me Series 2 I've been using the original charging cable and left the new cable in the box. Maybe I'll take it out and attempt some tests, lol.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I wonder about that. Given that it takes roughly 2 hours to charge the 0.93 Wh battery of the original watch, its definitely not using the full draw available from the 5W supply. I think it would be possible for the induction coil in the magnetic charging cable and the charger in the S2 watch to be improved for a faster charge?

I only feel like something is happening as the original watch asks for an update before using the magnetic charger from the S2 box. With me Series 2 I've been using the original charging cable and left the new cable in the box. Maybe I'll take it out and attempt some tests, lol.
Keep in mind inductive charging is only about 40% as efficient as wired so no way to even get close. It is possible Apple redesigned the coil but I don't think that would explain the OP's problem since you can use a larger power supply on a smaller charger. It just will limit the power input to it's maximum. The charger is hardware integrated to the battery type and is independent of and well before the OS.

More likely is an Apple proprietary identifier chip in the newer puck may just be a newer chip that is only compatible with wOS3 or higher (wild guess).

Still some test would be nice however they would likely be subjective. Hard to do an objective 'blind' test on chargers unless there is a significant difference.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Keep in mind inductive charging is only about 40% as efficient as wired so no way to even get close. It is possible Apple redesigned the coil but I don't think that would explain the OP's problem since you can use a larger power supply on a smaller charger. It just will limit the power input to it's maximum. The charger is hardware integrated to the battery type and is independent of and well before the OS.

More likely is an Apple proprietary identifier chip in the newer puck may just be a newer chip that is only compatible with wOS3 or higher (wild guess).

Still some test would be nice however they would likely be subjective. Hard to do an objective 'blind' test on chargers unless there is a significant difference.

You're likely right here. It's true though, inductive charging isn't nearly as efficient. I imagine the induction must be the current bottleneck when it comes to charging the watch, rather than the power supply (obviously) or the charger within the watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.