Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
I've searched high and low, google and altavista, the apple store and asking the computer teacher at school. Is it possible to hook a firewire cable up from a poweroutlet (like.. from iPod charger w/ firewire outlet to cable to powerbook or iBook)?

I remember when my iBook adapter gave out on me I thought about doing this, but got the Kensington Air/Wall/Plane thing for $45 from one of my apple clerks. (open box, AWW YEA!)
But, if it were to ever happen in the future, would it be possible to charge my powerbook or iBook over firewire? Would it make hardware explode or catch fire or hundreds of other horrible situations?

I'm not willing to test this on my own, but I'm curious about it...
Does it work?

BTW, I'm talking 12" G3 iBook 900MHz and a 15" G4 Powerbook 1.5GHz.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
katie ta achoo said:
I've searched high and low, google and altavista, the apple store and asking the computer teacher at school. Is it possible to hook a firewire cable up from a poweroutlet (like.. from iPod charger w/ firewire outlet to cable to powerbook or iBook)?

I remember when my iBook adapter gave out on me I thought about doing this, but got the Kensington Air/Wall/Plane thing for $45 from one of my apple clerks. (open box, AWW YEA!)
But, if it were to ever happen in the future, would it be possible to charge my powerbook or iBook over firewire? Would it make hardware explode or catch fire or hundreds of other horrible situations?

I'm not willing to test this on my own, but I'm curious about it...
Does it work?

BTW, I'm talking 12" G3 iBook 900MHz and a 15" G4 Powerbook 1.5GHz.

If that Kensington thingy charges through firewire, and the iPod adapter puts out the same voltage, then I guess I don't see any reason why not. However if the Kensington thing doesn't charge through firewire my guess would be that it doesn't... Firewire on your computer gives out power, but I don't *think* it takes it.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
NO!

Do not plug a firewire cable from an ipod power adapter into your computer. The reason you haven't found any information about this is because it's not a feature, meaning it's not meant to work that way. You will most likely fry something if you do.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
LimeLite said:
Do not plug a firewire cable from an ipod power adapter into your computer. The reason you haven't found any information about this is because it's not a feature, meaning it's not meant to work that way. You will most likely fry something if you do.

Haha... That was what I figured, but since I didn't know anything about this guy's Kensington thing I wasn't 100% sure...

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005
yeah, I figured as much, that's why I never did it.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, ey?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.