All iPads charging ipad mini in brazil or other 220v countires

Discussion in 'iPad' started by burritolove, Dec 19, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Nov 4, 2010
    i am going to brazil for the holidays and wanted to know if the supplied 5w charger (the little square with prongs) can be used to charge the ipad mini and iphone 5 without damage. i know the old charger (the bigger one that has fold away prongs, 12w) stated on the charger that it can handle 110-240v but i can find no info on the 5w.

2. macrumors 6502

Oct 9, 2011
    I live in Brazil and I've never used 220v, 110v is pretty standard.
  3. macrumors regular

Aug 16, 2012
    Rio de Janeiro
    Me too, but watch out. There has been a change in Brazil's plug standards. Now we use an hexagon plug with 2/3 round pins, like in the image below:

You should do well to make sure you have at least an adapter when you travel here or you'll run out of power ;)
  4. macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2009
    The Netherlands
    The chargers are worldwide the same, only the plug differs. I have charged my iPhone and iPad in Europe, USA and Japan without any problems.
  5. macrumors newbie

Aug 16, 2009
    Yeah.. no problem! Depending on the state you're visiting the standard voltage is 220V.. but most of them are 110V.
  6. macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2012
    the most of the charger can work with 110 and 220, even with differents frecuency 50 60 Hz etc.. the only thing that you have to do is buy an adapter to plug...