Charging Mac formatted iPod in a Windows PC — does it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lau, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Lau Guest

I'm about to go and stay at my parents' house, and I wondered if I take my Mac formatted iPod (newest nano) and it's USB cable, will I be able to charge it in my dad's PC's USB port, or will it fail to recognise it and therefore fail to charge? I don't want to do anything else with it, just charge it.

2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    It'll definitely* charge over FireWire, and I can only assume that USB will work too.

*I'm using the newest full iPod, but I'm assuming that a Nano will work the same way.
  3. Lau thread starter Guest

That's good to know, thanks, Nermal. I was worried that if it didn't recognise it, it wouldn't charge it, but unless FireWire works very differently to USB, that sounds hopeful. Not that there's much I can do if it doesn't work, as my iBook's a bit of a big charger to lug down with me...;)
  4. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Even though the new iPods don't support FireWire for synching, my old FireWire wall charger still works :D
  5. bozigle macrumors regular

i'll do that all the time at work and it work like a breath with usb2
    You get a message from Win that say somthing about the wrong format of the ipod... but at the end of the day your ipod is charged.
  6. Lau thread starter Guest

I somewhat regret selling mine. :p

Hard evidence! Fantastic, thanks, bozigle.

<runs off to catch plane>

Thanks guys!
  7. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Have a nice flight!
  8. Lau thread starter Guest

Thanks. :D I just looked on the website and I don't have to leave until 11. So you can all put up with me for another hour. :p
  9. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Here's hoping your flight wasn't grounded due to the fog! :eek: