Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
So bottom line is it won't damage my phone? Even if it happens everyday?
if you are speaking about physically plug and unplug, it will damage your phone in the long time. The battery won't suffer, but the protection circuit will be stressed much more than normal.
I would avoid that

Jcdumdumaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2015
if you are speaking about physically plug and unplug, it will damage your phone in the long time. The battery won't suffer, but the protection circuit will be stressed much more than normal.
I would avoid that
What do you mean by physical plug and unplug? What is a protection circuit?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
What do you mean by physical plug and unplug? What is a protection circuit?
I mean: if you physically connect and disconnect the lightning connector to the lightning port, again and again in a few minutes, you are accelerating the normal wear and tear process....

The lithium battery inside your iPhone has a protection circuit to prevent overcharging, overvaulting and other things. That continuous charge/discharge cycling in a few minutes is stressing it more than expected.

Reactions: Jcdumdumaya

Jcdumdumaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I mean: if you physically connect and disconnect the lightning connector to the lightning port, again and again in a few minutes, you are accelerating the normal wear and tear process....

The lithium battery inside your iPhone has a protection circuit to prevent overcharging, overvaulting and other things. That continuous charge/discharge cycling in a few minutes is stressing it more than expected.
Normal wear and tear process? What does that mean? Sorry for all the questions.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Normal wear and tear process? What does that mean? Sorry for all the questions.
When you plug and unplug the lightning connector in your iPhone, there is actually "friction" between electric contacts. They are designed to do that, so they are wearing over the time but it usually takes years before some of them will malfunction. If you are connecting and disconnecting the lightning plug continuously, at a rate much higher than it was supposed, it could accelerate the wearing process.

Jcdumdumaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2015
When you plug and unplug the lightning connector in your iPhone, there is actually "friction" between electric contacts. They are designed to do that, so they are wearing over the time but it usually takes years before some of them will malfunction. If you are connecting and disconnecting the lightning plug continuously, at a rate much higher than it was supposed, it could accelerate the wearing process.
So it wont damage my battery? Only the port area?

Jcdumdumaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2015
So it wont damage my battery or anything alse? Only the port area?

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Not sure about Apple hardware but the Galaxy S6 keeps count of how many times the charger was plugged in. Even wiping the phone fully wouldn't erase those stats. It's stored on a separate partition or chip. I think Samsung used these logs for warranty purposes.
Mine showed over 300 times plugged in in about a week but it was my stupid fancy ebay cable that was an issue!

Jcdumdumaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Not sure about Apple hardware but the Galaxy S6 keeps count of how many times the charger was plugged in. Even wiping the phone fully wouldn't erase those stats. It's stored on a separate partition or chip. I think Samsung used these logs for warranty purposes.
Mine showed over 300 times plugged in in about a week but it was my stupid fancy ebay cable that was an issue!
Lol. So was it plugged in 300 times in a week? Maybe yours kept plugging and unplugging for some reason

Koudspeel

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
Don't plug and unplug in fast sequences for too long. The lightning cable might lose it's strenght and won't work for another 15 minutes or so.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Lol. So was it plugged in 300 times in a week? Maybe yours kept plugging and unplugging for some reason
The cable was not maintaining a proper connection. I had disabled the charger plug in sound so I didn't notice it.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
You said it "it could damage the port (or shorten its life)" shorten the life of the port?
Yep. It may shorten the life of the port...

BTW I'm not getting what are you really asking here. What could be the reason to plug and unplug continuously the cable while charging ? I can't see any single good reason to do that ....

Jcdumdumaya

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Yep. It may shorten the life of the port...

BTW I'm not getting what are you really asking here. What could be the reason to plug and unplug continuously the cable while charging ? I can't see any single good reason to do that ....
I just wanted to see if it wil change the percentage as I plug and unplug it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.