Charging problems..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Deinonychus, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Deinonychus macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm having this odd problem right now with my PowerBook. Just a while ago, I heard some odd buzzing noises that came from my laptop, so I decided to turn it off. It was plugged in, mind you. When I turn it back on and login, it shows that my date and time were reset (like you reset your PMU). I look at the battery icon, and it doesn't show that the computer is plugged in at all, even though it is completely plugged in with the adapter. The adapter shows amber on the charging ring. I have tried both the 2 pronged and 3 pronged (the one with the grounding thing) attachments for the adapter. Yes I have tried resetting the PMU and PRAM.

Help is appreciated.

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

try simply removing your battery and then putting it back in

3. Deinonychus thread starter macrumors newbie

4. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Well, if the amber LED is lit up, it's charging the battery. So, whether the software knows that you're plugged in, the hardware certainly does. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's disconcerting, I know, but everything still does actually work the way it's supposed to. You could try recalibrating the battery. That's done by charging the battery fully, draining it fully, then charging it fully again.

5. jonat8 macrumors regular

I had a similar problem with a 15" Powerbook G4. I plugged the charger in, the ring went orange but the computer wouldn't recognise it was plugged in, but ALSO it wouldn't power the computer or charge the battery at all (the lights on the battery didn't light up).

I just got a new power adaptor and all seems well again though :) Try getting a new one, or if you have a family member, colleague or friend with a Powerbook ask them if you can try it.