Charging the shuffle with PB cover closed?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by doctor pangloss, Aug 2, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

I've got a 12"pb which I plug my shuffle into. I noticed that when I close the cover of the PB the amber charging light on the shuffle goes out too.
    Is it still charging with cover closed?

2. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't say for sure, but my guess is no. When I had my iBook, closing the lid would turn off my external mouse's optical sensor - ie. it stopped supplying power to the USB ports.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

I may have answered my own question on this today. I left the shuffle plugged into the port while charging and closed the cover of the PB. Upon my return later I found the shuffle to indicate a fully charged condition even though the amber light on the shuffle showed no indication of charging with the cover closed. I'll try it again after running the shuffle battery down a bit more.

4. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Yeh the laptops go to sleep when their closed, and power to ports goes off.
    What you can do is not to put the screen down, but set the display and HD to sleep. This saves some battery (if your not connected to the wall), and power to the ports remain on.

5. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My 4G charges in its dock, whilst plugged into a sleeping iMac FWIW.

6. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

An iMac is wall-powered though, so that doesn't surprise me. My G4 tower keeps the ports powered while asleep too.

Edit: No it doesn't. It turns off the mouse when I put it to sleep. My iPod will charge, but it's FireWire not USB.

7. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My 4G iPod charges while connected to my PB by firewire even when the PB is asleep (PB is plugged in though). I've never tried it with a USB cable mind you.

8. macrumors 68000

Loge

Mine does too, but the Shuffle connected to the USB port does not. Go Firewire! :)

9. thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the usb port on the PB is giving charging power while asleep also.
    It was confusing due to the lack of charging indication from the shuffle.

The other nifty trick I found the shuffle to do is it turns off if you unplug the headset!

10. macrumors 601

andiwm2003

my mouse has a blue light that stays on while the PB is sleeping. so there is power on the usb port during sleep. my shuffle also charges overnight while my pb is sleeping.

11. macrumors 68000

Loge

My 4G iPod definitely won't charge through the USB2 ports on my Powerbook if the machine is asleep, but it will charge fine through Firewire.