Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2004
Coffee **** you should get his car and a weekend with Steve Job's wife for that kinda money.

Gym Hellwig

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
I bet most of the bids are fake. No way would somebody spend that for 30 minutes of coffee. Not a chance.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
that's nuts. you could have coffee with all three CEOs of Samsung for about half that price. of course, the coffee isn't as good and they only speak broken English...

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
How many people have been CEO of a company as successful as Apple? There is value in that experience.

Coffee with Gil Amelio anybody?

Maybe if it was Jobs I could see someone doing this just to meet a man who built a company like Apple, but Cook?

I don't see how it's worth it at all.

The estimated value was $50,000, that seems more reasonable.

Yeah, not like he is Bill Gates! With my last comment in mind, I am really glad that they removed down voting.. :eek:

The point is to give money to charity, the fact that you get to meet CEO of Apple is just a token benefit.

Yes..and no. Because all the list of bidders could do this now right now if they wanted to, which I doubt very much they would without any kudos of fanfare.

It is about the bidder and Apple raising their profiles (advertising) artificially through getting people to pay ridiculous amounts of money in the process. Think App Gratis!!!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If that's what it costs for coffee with Tim Cook, then just pay it. I've seen how people are without their coffee.

ilmman

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
I bet most of the bids are fake. No way would somebody spend that for 30 minutes of coffee. Not a chance.

Yet maybe the bidder has a chance of sealing a deal that would generate their company billions. So 500k really isn't that much for a well established company looking to expand or something

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I know who danmcq is...

Attachments

• KJU-MBP.jpg
    KJU-MBP.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 94

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
That's crazy, there's no way meeting with a CEO (any ceo) is worth that much money.

If I was very, very rich (I'm not) and if I was giving major amounts of money to charity ever year (I'm not) I'd surely look around where I can get something out of it. And coffee with Tim Cook would be a nice choice.

----------

that's nuts. you could have coffee with all three CEOs of Samsung for about half that price. of course, the coffee isn't as good and they only speak broken English...

If you are a Korean minister, you probably get paid :D

----------

Anyone want to have lunch with me for 1/10 of 1% of the final bid?

Pictures please :D

And you are not quite saying who would be paying...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Do you know what a write-off is?

Say you donate $10,000 to some cause. That actual money has to come out of your bank account. You lose that ACTUAL money.

Come tax time, say you made $50,000. You no longer have to pay taxes on $50,000, but instead $10,000 less than that, which is $40,000. Say your tax rate is 15%. Instead of paying $7,500 in taxes, you'd pay $6,000 in taxes.

So, this $10,000 is actually costing you $8,500 if you count the benefits of a tax write-off. It's not FREE.

There are cases, depending on where you live, where things like that can work out (or may be a necessity) due to stupid tax laws. For example, in the UK you are classified as "rich" of you make more than about £43,000 a year (even if you are married with four children and a single income, while a couple without kids making £42,000 each is not "rich", but politicians here are stuuuuupid). Going over that limit, from £42,990 to £43,010 (not exactly that number) can cost you dearly. So you'd make deals to avoid going over the limit.

As you said, with reasonable tax laws this doesn't work.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I don't drink coffee. Otherwise, I'd bid $1 million and get it over with.

:)

BTW, the first thing I'd ask Tim is when we'll see Apple go back to using Google's map data for the iOS Maps app! :)

Mark

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
I wouldn't pay this guy squat...I would appreciate 5 minutes to tell him to get some nads and take control of those stockholders...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Since this is for charity why do people care how much and whether Tim Cook is worth the price? :confused:

Also perhaps there are people out there who don't think Cook is the loser people here think he is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.