Charlie and the Chocolate Factory trailer

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jalexster, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

2. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

i'm still a little confused as to why they felt a need to remake this particular movie (aside from $$ obviously). the original w/gene wilder was perfect. that said, i think burton/depp would do a good job. depp is a great actor and one of my favorites.

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Sure Gene Wilder was perfect, giving a less manic and more controlled performance as was his way in the earlier part of his career ... but the rest of the film left a lot to be desired. The kid performances, the sets, the dialogue .. it didn't really capture the vision of Dahl.

I wouldn't mind dipping in for a view of this upon release.

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

1. It's not a remake, it's a totally new version based more closely on the book, which is far more darker and creapier than the 70's sugar coated, comical farse that even went so far to change the name to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory, when the book is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

2. Dahl hated the 70's version of the movie.

3. Here's a direct link to the hires trailer http://mp3content02.bcst.yahoo.com/bmfroot04/BMFShare04/yahoomovies/14/10140074.mov

4. I for one, can't wait for this movie.

5. brap macrumors 68000

Looks like a Tim Burton film. Surreal, dark slapstick humour. I'm kinda getting tired of it, actually. It's a pity Johnny Depp looks so... wussy.

He looks like a queer Alex, from 'A Clockwork Orange'.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

tim burton is probably my favorite directior and has coached amazing performances from depp in the past... i have a feeling that this movie is going to be really well done

7. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Personally, I think Tim Burton is an awful director, but a wonderful stylist. He has serious problems telling a coherent story, but he did a fine job with Big Fish.

The looks of his movies are great, but the stories often leave you feeling empty...

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

It look very unnormal, Jhonny Deep has so unusual character and I am very curious, why the white glasses remind me so much a Pet Shop Boys video? It is going to be a trippy movie, obviously is not trying to imitate the original one but like some other version. Deep is very good in giving shape to stories that wouldn't have any by themselves.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Interesting that people see this as so different from the original. The original, to me, was quite dark. I suppose it could be worth the update if they improve the music (though I hope they keep the Oompa-loompa song), but visually this doesn't look to me to be too much different from the original.

10. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

yeah, can anyone say batman returns?

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ack thanks wordmunger, now I'm going to have that song in my head all weekend! :eek:
    ................arghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Personaly I liked the 70's version, for it's time it was pretty dark (for a kids movie). What other kids movie has a chicken getting it's head cut off in the background (see the boat tour scene). IMHO Gene Wilder was fantastic playing Willy Wonka. It's been ages since I read the book, but I remember thinking it was a fairly good interpretation for kids to see.

I look forward to Tim Burton's version, and while I like Depp (and think he'll do a good job) I think it's about time Burton tried to use other people ... and give his casting director something to do! :rolleyes:

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, very cool and very weird.

What's with the androgynous Johny Depp?!?

Where are the Umpa-Lumpas?

D

13. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Is it me or does Depp look like Jack White from the White Stripes? Can't wait for this movie - should be cool.

14. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

i agree. the original version was very dark and scary to me too. the movie was exceptionally visual and creepy for its time. i looked over the trailer for the latest movie. i realize that its just a small snippet of the new movie but i don't see anything fantastically different over the original.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think Johnny looks like a pimp... :D

And no disrespect to him, I think he's a pretty good actor, but no one will ever ever ever be able to play that role like Gene Wilder. Although the scenery looks a tad better...

16. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

cool, I'll be excited to see this movie. I'm not a huge fan of Burton's, but I did really like Ed Wood. Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors, I love how he plays his characters, they're always memorable (at least in my opinion). My mom hated the original, but I liked it. Did anyone happen to read the sequel Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator? That was...interesting, lol :)

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Like all of Burton's films it has a distinct visual style. We shall see. Burton is one of my favorite directors and has only really disappointed me a few times.

I like Willy Wonka (who's bright sets contrasted sharply w/it's dark under tones), but I'm not one of those "don't mess w/a classic" snobs. I look forward to seeing the film.

-Lethal

18. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Given the avatar, I think it's fair to say I'm a fan of the original. That being said, I can't imagine anyone else alive today that I'd rather see fill the role than Mr. Depp.

Roald Dahl, a very slow old man, came to my elementary school and signed a copy of 'Charlie' for me in 1986.

I later heard the old Roald was quite the fascist in his day. No idea how true that was or not.

19. russed macrumors 68000

russed

quite a bit of the film was done in york where i am! occasionally you would see johnny depp in a really cool bar in town!

i think all the scenes in the factory are done in roundtrees or terrys in york! just thought i would add that!

20. mpw Guest

From a couple of interviews I've heard (with his daughter I think) it seemed like he was a nasty piece of work in his private life.

21. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

That's exactly what I was thinking. Wilder's character was an eccentric genius with a dark side, this he/she/it is just creepy weird. There's a big difference.

22. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The original movie is good, this one is just different.

Yes, Depp is creating a brand new character, if you ask me it looks a bit week for what we may be expecting but lets wait for the movie.

Yes Depp is good for those papers kind of papers where "he is but not".

23. kerb macrumors regular

my immediate thought, though i wouldnt of attached such a clumsy adjective.

24. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Who let these two hacks near the Chocolate Factory story?

I think Depp could be one of the greatest actors in Hollywood right now if he would pick some decent roles. Hey, Johnny, how about something that either isn't a period piece or just completely stupid/weird? Edward Scissorheads was a pretty good movie and all, and you played the part quite well, but can you ever just be in a simple, sincere, CURRENT TIME PERIOD movie?

Especially since he is under the direction of Burton in this film, I hope it will be better than seems likely. Burton has some interesting ideas and visuals, but as was said earlier, can't carry a story to save his life. Additionally, he often makes aspects of his films weird simply for the sake fo being weird--unnecessary and trite.

If they just wanted a weird movie, Burton was a good choice.

If they wanted a weird AND good movie, Wes Anderson or Paul Thomas Anderson would have been a better choice. Any other better directors you guys can think of for this film?

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Watch out for the K'nids! (Is that how it's spelled? Been so long since I read that book... :()