Charlie Gillett, champion of World Music, dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by skunk, Mar 18, 2010.

1. macrumors G4

skunk

Sad news. Charlie Gillett died yesterday, aged 68. Gillett has long been a regular feature on BBC World Service and Radio 3, presenting and introducing many great overseas musicians. He "discovered" Salif Keita, Youssou N'Dour, Mariza and many others and brought them to a wider international audience. He is also credited with bringing Dire Straits out of their regular pub gig in Putney to commercial success, and managed Ian Dury in his early days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8573682.stm

2. macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

3. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Sad indeed,as well as his music he was well loved in Brixton and environs as well as remembered as a contributor to Anarchy magazine at the time of Colin Wards editorship.Colin also recently died.They are missed.

4. macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

He said a lot of dozy things about my music and so I never bothered with him. (Family friend of my then GF.) From what's been written it seems he was more okay than I'd thought. At the time he'd been involved with The Flying Lizards and so was a total tw@ to me. I thought of him as an old fogey but he was in the proto Blockheads! Funny how things go for your younger self.

5. macrumors newbie