Charlotte, NC - Southpark Mall - iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by pcguru83, Jun 18, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

So I've never lined up at an Apple Store before, but we're thinking of skipping our annual AT&T line up this year. :) How does this work with it being in the mall? I'm assuming the mall opens earlyish for walkers and whatnot, but what if there are people there before that? Is there a door everyone lines up at? Are there signs?

2. macrumors regular

I'm considering going here or mall of Georgia. I live in SC about halfway between the two stores. I'm particularly interested in whichever one will let us camp overnight inside.

3. macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

Southpark is a fairly upscale mall, so I have my doubts about camping out inside. I'm curious if the mall management office could provide some direction.

4. macrumors newbie

I'll be arriving early.. Not sure where to go. Guess I'll call the Apple store on Monday.

5. macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I actually called today. The guy I spoke to said that they had to convince the mall they had to open at 7am (the mall normally opens at 8am). He said the doors to the actual mall would not be opening any sooner than 7am. So I have no clue now where to go in the meantime. If we all have to wait outside at different doors and then race to the Apple Store, that is going to be utter chaos (and not very easy to plan for).

6. macrumors member

I may be able to shed some light on it. We lined up for iPad at South Park mall. The mall is an upscale mall, with a parking garage that is partly underground, so to speak. There is a particular entrance to the main mall that opens first each day I believe, to allow mall walkers and employees in. It is the one by the Tinder Box store. However, mall security will not let people camp out over night. There is a McDonalds (24 hours) across the street from the mall. Perhaps a meet up there is in order?

FYI - with iPad, there were two lines - one for reservations and one for people without reservations. The Apple store employees checked your name to make sure you were on the reservation list, and then you were put in that line. The line and purchase went smoothly.

7. macrumors regular

Charlotte, NC South Park Mall

I've reserved my iphone. Work nearby but not sure if I'm going before work or after work. I have to be at work at 8 and not sure if I can get in and out and still be at work on time. Plus I'm not sure what entrance will be open at that time in order to work my way to the store.

8. macrumors regular

I am plannning to come to the mall around 6:30 AM. Hoping to be in the 1st 50 in pre-order line.

9. macrumors regular

arcanic

I'll be arriving early myself....I've always gone to AT&T for launches, so I too have no clue what entrance to go to.

10. macrumors regular

I have no idea where the TimberBox store is at so I still don't know what door to go in. I've reserved my phone also and work fairly close. I am supposed to be at work at 8, but don't want to be super late. I wonder if I get there a little before 7, if I could be out by 8 or 8:30 (that could be wishful thinking). Otherwise I may just leave work a little early (3:30) and pick it up. I thought about going by during lunch but figured that could be another big rush time.

Would the entrance be the one right there at Magginaones and CheeseCake Factory? Part of me wants to be there for the excitement but I have no interest in running through the mall to get to the store.

11. macrumors regular

Here is a question for the person that was there for the iPad release. Will they allow you to shop around? I don't want to leave without picking up some type of case that may be available. I want a little something in terms of protection. I'm guessing I could buy the iphone and then look at the cases.

12. macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I hope the Apple store and South Park collaborate to make this a seamless process as possible. I'm talking security. Never been here before. People without reservations could get out of hand. Maybe I'm paranoid. Hype train will be blazing by Thurs. mourning. These things will probably be worth thousands. Angry people who couldnt preorder trying to get the front of the line. Masked men in an "underground!" parking garage. Upscale dont mean jack.

On a side note. Being this is the south everybody should know at least one at&t store in the boonies where iPhone is just not on the socio-economic radar. Anybody ever tried that? I mean it could be 5 min. in and out!

13. macrumors 6502

trigonometry

As far as the side note in my post above I just called a RadioShack in a hick town where all they have is Edge. You know what he said? "Not gone happen!"

14. macrumors member

I just typed a post, and it seems to have been deleted somehow. Sorry if they double post.

Sorry for the lack of details on the Tinder Box. I see how it is useless if you have never been there. :)

I will try to give directions from memory:
    The Tinder Box is roughly in the middle of the underground parking garage. I normally enter off Fairview by the CVS. You go north there on a small side street. After you pass the above ground garages on the right you come to a stop sign, I believe. Off to the right is a ramp down into the underground garage, so to speak. The entrance road turns to the left inside the garage, and the Tinder Box is about half way down. It is inside, but, you can see it through the glass. There is an escalator inside next to it that takes you up into the mall.

For the iPad, the mall would not allow cam;ing or people there overnight.

Hope this helps.

15. macrumors member

I was at the Apple store at Southpark Mall today. The employee told me this:

1) They will open at 7 am Thursday.
    2) There should be two lines - one for people with reservations and one for people who do not have reservations.
    3) I asked him if they really hold your phone until you get there (for the allotted time Apple gives you - I guess that is that day this time around)? He said yes.
    4) He confirmed my reservation - whoo, whoo.

I am not sure when we will go. Please let us know when you are going and maybe we will see you there.

itoddm - when we bought our iPad, we had full freedom to shop (or so it seemed). And we did buy a case then. When we were allowed in the store (they let a few people in out of the line at a time), we were greated by an employee that got us the iPad, helped us pick out a case, offered to set it up, took our payment and sent us on our way. I think we could have bought a mouse, software or a Mac, right then. There was no rush or push at all once you were in the store.

Hope this helps.

16. macrumors newbie

This is great information, thanks. I have a reservation for a 32 GB iPhone 4 on the 24th and took a half-day vacation from work because I wasn't sure what to anticipate in terms of wait times. I was actually going to call the store myself to ask so I am glad I checked here first. Sounds like those with reservations may have a fairly easy time getting in regardless of the time of day you go, plus the added assurance that you will get the device on launch day.

17. macrumors member

Ya, he said that the reserved units are literally set aside - like separate from the units available for walk-ins. Not sure if that is true. But, from that, I would think we are safe. But, you never know. I am sure there will still be tons of people lining up. And, I won't feel comfortable that mine will be there, unless I do too. I will be there early. I just have to figure out how early it will be.

18. macrumors regular

I realize that no one knows for sure but is the entrance near TimberBox the only way in the mall at that time of the morning? I know there is an entrance right behind Joseph Beth Bookstore also.

For anyone that has never been to South Park Mall it can be confusing inside the mall because it is big and every where that the halls cross looks like the ones before. The Apple store is beside Sur La Table. If you enter behind Joseph Beth Bookstore and Dick's Sporting Goods, there is a California Pizza on the left in the entrance of the mall. IF you walk in the mall there and go straight and make a right at the next "intersection" the Apple store is straight ahead on the left. Of course those directions will only help if that set of doors is open at 7am.

The more I think about it, I may just try to be there at 7am and if it looks to wild or chaotic, I will just come back later. Maybe I will take a risk and "get caught up in the drama."

19. macrumors member

itoddm - Ya, there are tons of different entrances. Who knows which ones will be open in the morning. And, with the mall not letting anyone line up or camp out or anything before they open it makes it difficult.

20. macrumors member

I'll be there about 5:30ish that AM I believe. I've got a reservation as well. I work right across the street as well, hope to make it in and out by 8am as well. If not, I'll be a bit late. From what I've heard in the past, they open the door near Tinder Box- that's the only entrance. Per Allie at the apple store, they will open the mall door at 6am and they will open at 7am. Hope this goes smoothly!

21. macrumors newbie

Yeah I have to be at work at 7:30AM that day. I planned on being first in line so I could just get this done and scoot to work in time. Sounds like thats going to be hard with no camping allowed..

22. macrumors newbie

23. macrumors member

I think I will get there at 6 or 6:30 am. It seems like, based on what everyone else is doing, that should work fine. I feel much more comfortable after talking to the Apple store employee yesterday who said that phones for the people with reservations will be set aside and held until they are picked up. So, I am almost inclined to spare myself of all the hype and just go in at lunch or after work. I haven't decided yet. Either first thing at 6 or 6:30 in the morning, or just wait until later in the day.

24. macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

My wife is clinging to hope that white iPhones will be available at launch at Apple Stores. I hope we know definitively one way or the other Wednesday. I seriously doubt they are going to be available at launch, but we'll see I suppose.

If they are available, they will surely be in short supply. We were planning on camping out Wednesday night, but that obviously isn't going to be happening.

Any strategies for being very close to the front if we're willing to be there super early (say...11pm Wednesday)? Or is there not even any point?

25. macrumors member

I was at the Apple store yesterday and they said definitely no white iPhones for launch. I wanted one too. I was very disappointed. The mall won't allow staying all night. There was a story in the paper or somewhere, with the iPad, a father and son showed up at like 4 am, and the security guards made them leave, and come back at 7 am when they opened the doors to the mall. It is a bummer. But, I think that getting there at 6 or 6:30 should work. With a reservation, the phones are held anyhow. I am still debating whether to go in the morning or wait until lunch on launch day.