Chart Topping Music

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Fiveos22, Jan 25, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

Nov 20, 2003
    This is something that popped up in the Slashdot forums today while they were discussing [Slashdot forums] this article on iTunes' International music selling policy [].

Its a little biographical page about a Japanese song, "Sukiyaki", that briefly topped the American music charts. LINK [] The song is interesting, but from what I gather, its copyright has expired, and the website has a few versions of the song available for download (scroll down the page).

I'm always a sucker for free music...and I know there are a myriad of sites out there that allow you to download music for free, but what strikes me about this is that the song is an American chart topping song. I wonder if there are other sites out there that are legally hosting chart topping music for download.

I guess my questions are:
    1) What's the copyright status of music (end of copyright period, what makes them public domain)?
    2) Does anybody know of other chart-topping copyright free music that is available on the internets? And where is it?

If anything I hope you enjoy the link to this song.
  2. Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Determining what is in the public domain can be complicated, particularly for works originally published outside of the United States. Here is a table showing the current state of affairs in the US.
  3. macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    It's the first time I've heard of a legal, free download of a Chart topping song. Great find!