Chat privacy?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mala, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

I've just switched from MacOS 9.2.2 to Panther, and am in a little culture shock.

I'd heard that you could use iChat to chat to some website groups, and went to talk to a group about fiction.

iChat's interface was kind of baffling at first - I couldn't tell who was talking, as everyone had the same icon of a leaping man.

I fished around the menus a bit and now everyone had names.

But - eeeek! - while everyone else had nicknames, my full, real name was there on the screen.

Now, I'm sure these were probably all nice people, but on the other hand, they were strangers from all over the world.

I'm quite happy to chat to them, and if I meet someone I don't trust, I can leave. But the idea of my real name being in plain text for any possible weirdo or stalker to see is not something I like.

Is it possible to use nicknames and conceal your identity in iChat? I won't be using it again for public chat if not.

2. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

What is your AIM handle? Ok no need to say if you don't want to, but if its some nick then I don't think people saw your real name.
    iChat always displays your name to you but other people don't see it they see only aim nick you chose.

3. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

And you can only use that one nick? Darn. I chose the AIM nick that my friends and family would guess, naturally, but I'd prefer to use a different one for a fiction group; I don't want spam, and I don't want to expose myself - even in this small way - to unknown people.

4. David Lundgren macrumors member

5. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry to be so un-techie, but if I sign up for a second account, will the name be offered as an option on iChat or what?

6. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

iChat menu > preferences > accounts

Enter username / password data there once you register new account.

7. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, iChat's Preferences/Accounts offers only the option "Create another .mac account". What do they think I am, a millionaire? (Rhetorical question.)

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

9. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

The particular group I was chatting with say on their website that they use iChat for Apples; I don't think they actually use AIM as such, unfortunately.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ichat displays your real name in ichat cause its on your vcard in address book. but they only see your screen name unless they tag your vcard in address book with your real name, that is if they know it.

iJon

11. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

What's a vcard and where are my address book, please?

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

vcards are just the people in the address book, its a universal format. your address book is an application in the apps folder.

iJon

13. 7on macrumors 601

7on

As far as the group thing, there is no way for them to see if you are using iChat or AIM.