Chavez says may give US F-16 jets to Cuba, China

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 3, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

our cowboy diplomacy bites us in the ass again.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Does he do cows? I thought he only "cleared brush".

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well shoot, if we can violate treaties anytime we want, why can't other countries abrogate contracts on third-party transfers whenever they want?

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

umm, hugo chavez is a COMMIE!!! he is not a freedom/democracy loving AMERICAN. that's why.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont blame him a bit, so they buy our aircraft and then Bush & gang want to deny parts? It seems to me that dealing with a everchanging executive branch is a pain in the arse for all countries and even more so when we get a Govt like we have had for the past 5 years. Its going to take years to undo all the damage this president and the republican gang has created. Anyone who criticizes the poor decisions out of this whitehouse seems to be blacklisted, this isnt how our Govt is suppose to be. Anyone get the feeling that the Executive Branch makes its own rules as it goes? If there is anything that Pisses Bush off it has to Freedom of Speech. Your either with us or against us?

6. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

Let him try it. The results will make for good TV :b:

7. tristan macrumors 6502a

Chavez is all talk. This is the same guy who said he'd start selling his oil to China instead of the US. He's not going to do anything because he knows if he really crossed the line, we'd take him down to Chinatown. The sad thing is he's taking a relatively prosperous country and turning it into a dump. I have extended family in Venezuela and they tell me its a disaster.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It was a disaster before he got in how do you think he got elected? The rich were keeping all the riches to themselfs while the poor starved? The country is a mess but wealth has to be shared and distributed. From what i know there isnt a middle class overthere. Sort of like what George and the gang are doing here. reward the Rich and forget the rest.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure if you're not an impoverished native things kind of suck for you right now in Venezuala.

I think you underestimate the danger Chavez poses. He is busy aligning much of the western half of the Southern Hemisphere against us and our interests. And we're playing right into his hands (as we are doing with bin Laden as well) by making ourselves as obnoxious and bullying as possible, which only serves to drive other countries into Chavez's camp.

He's putting himself in a position to be a power broker in a world that is desperately looking for someone to stand up to the US. Chavez has the oil that can put us over a barrel, so to speak. And for all your bluster about us 'taking him to Chinatown', with all due respect we don't have the resources to invade and occupy Venezuala. Nor would it be seen in any way as a legitimate military operation.

Bush is driving the world to either be with us or against us, and many countries are discovering that there is little benefit in being 'with us', and many downsides -- like their populace turning against them.

10. tristan macrumors 6502a

And if you're an impoverished native, things suck by definition. :)

I'm just going by past history - so far its been basically all talk on both sides. I hope it stays that way of course. I don't think he'll be a legitimate anti-US mouthpiece, because people don't see him as a credible or capable. The only way I see the conflict heating up is if he starts to meddle in neighboring countries.

11. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Chavez, Castro, Lula!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You fundie nutcase USA is going down!:D

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Heh... yeah it's bad when countries meddle in the affairs of other countries, isn't it?
    ;)

13. tristan macrumors 6502a

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Of course it does... Otherwise, how do we sleep at night?

15. tristan macrumors 6502a

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, I'm with you. Intervention isn't always a bad thing. It's just fun to hear Americans give other countries advice in that area these days. It kinda rings hollow to argue that you shouldn't meddle in other's affairs when you're country has done so much of it over the years.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The enemy of my enemy... We are sooo doomed.

18. tristan macrumors 6502a

The subject of interventions is very complex. For years, the US and Russia treated the world like a chessboard, and in the end, it didn't make either of us very many friends. The funny thing is that the people who weren't dominated by us - Eastern Europe - now like us better than the ones who were dominated by us - Latin America and the Middle East.

I can completely understand the "yankee go home" sentiment in Latin America, but the leadership down there has to face reality. The only way they're going to prosper is through economic development and political stability, basically following in Asia's footsteps, and the easiest way to do that is through close ties to the US and Europe.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

...will be my next enemy.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Nah, I'm pretty sure everybody just hates us at this point. Not that I can say I blame them at this point. I'm a little disappointed with us right now too. I stand by my "we're doomed" comment.

21. katchow macrumors 6502

i understand anger, but does that sound like a child's tantrum to anyone else? maybe its just the translation.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A lot of Chavez's speeches sound pretty petulant.

Also, I wonder how much intelligence value older F-16s can provide. I would guess most of that plane's capabilities have been widely disseminated.

23. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this is why I don't think that Chavez will ever do anything really meaningful against the US, it seems to be all just rhetoric and demagoguery.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's a straightforward taunt. Usually geopolitical taunting is more nuanced. Good theatre, though.

25. katchow macrumors 6502

it sounds like phony posturing to me. I'm sure the crowds eat it up though.