Cheap 3D imaging program!

Discussion in 'Product Recommendations/Reviews' started by wPod, Sep 28, 2004.

1. macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    I want to make a cool looking 3D image (or even a quicktime rotating view of an object) for a class project. Nothing serious just for fun and to impress the proffesor. I know a CAD program would do the trick (I am an engineer so I have worked with numerous such programs) I would prefer a CAD program but I know there arent many for mac (not to mention not many that are free).

PS I have photoshop and a full macromedia package, is there a way to do a 3D sort of image (with lighting effects and such) with either of these?
    Thanks for your help!
  2. macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    Old York
  3. macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    Maybe Blender? I havent used it but someone once metioned it to me. And it runs on everything, Last time I checked it was free.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Inglaterra, Europa
    Blender looks awesome, but every time i fire it up, i have no idea what i am doing. Can anyone point me to a good online guide?
  5. macrumors regular

May 27, 2004
    Seattle Wa.
    i would actually suggest wings 3d i learned most of it on last saturday with the users manual that you can download from their site. its very easy to use :)
  6. zim
    macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    You can find info on books here:

I would also recombined joining in on the discussion boards, found on the blender site. I think that you will find that the community is very friendly. I think that there are also some pdf files floating around on the site.

Also be sure that you check out the tutorials: