1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Cheap air play setup??

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jwajcosmo, Aug 1, 2011.

1. jwajcosmo, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

macrumors newbie

Hey,
    Im looking to create a sort of multi room speaker set up in my house for under $350 using airplay. I already have a TC 2tb, ATV2 and AE i my house all of which are the latest model. I am looking to have roughly 4 zones and two sub-zones. I also have a macbook pro 13" and 10 plus iOS devices. I currently have one set of bose speakers I plan to use in one of the zones.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jwaj :)

2. macrumors 68020

4 zones plus 2 sub zones, so 6 sets of speakers all together? one of which you have. You'll spend more than you want on just speakers.

you have 3 options
    • airport express + speakers (lots of possibilites, but still $99 for a new express plus speakers)
    • airplay enabled speakers (not that many options have been released, and most are high end)
    • airplay enabled A/V receiver + speakers (a few options, pioneer and denon both have released one in the $500-550 range, not including speakers).
    a fourth option is airfoil, a program with similar functionality. from airfoil you can send audio from any one program (OS X or windows) at a time, you get to choose, so not just iTunes, works great for pandora and such.
    Plus they have a receiver program that works on OS X, Windows, Linux, and iOS. You can also transmit to airplay devices (express and such). (transmitter program is $25, receivers are free) You can not transmit to the receiver program from your iOS devices or directly from iTunes though.

i use airfoil, an old 1st gen iPhone that has a broken screen, and a portable speaker dock for speakers in the bathroom.
    I also have the denon avr-1912 in my living room, and an older airport express + powered speakers in my kitchen. whole system works pretty good.