1. KindaSlowJohnny macrumors newbie

I'm just wandering, which place to buy would be cheaper. This conserns both students and none students alike. I mean, if you buy from apple.com or the store, you'll have to pay the tax and the full or student discount price.
    While with amazon.com you play the full price - tax - $150 rebate. So why would you go to apple?

Apple.com/Apple Store:
    PB 12 in combo:
    $1499.99 ---- full/none student
    $1399.99 ---- student
    + tax
    ---------------
    = $1604.99 ----- full/none student
    = $1479.99 ----- student

Amazon.com
    PB 12 in combo:
    $1499.99 ---- Everyone
    + $0.00 tax
    - $150.00 Rebate
    --------------
    = $1349.99 ------ Everyone

So, does it make sense buying from Apple? It sure doesn't to me.
    Of coure the Student Union thing is extra, from apple you'll still have to pay tax. So someone try and disagree with me, enlighten me.

2. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I have the exact same question myself.

why doesn't amazon.com charge tax?

3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I asked myself the same question, and I decided no. I saved $300+ by buying from Amazon. The computer came on time and in perfect condition. I'm very satisfied and now I'm a huge Amazon fan. Now I willing to pay a little extra to buy from Amazon, as I was so impressed with how promptly the computer was shipped and how easy the web site is to navigate.

4. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Check this out.

5. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I think I will buy off amazon.com as well. I'll save $100+ in not having to pay tax. I guess my sister will have to find another way to get a free ipod mini then.

6. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

7. IllTakeAnApple macrumors member

as far as i know you can customize your laptop if you choose to do so on apple's website. however i dont think amazon leaves this option open. overall it really depends if the item you want already has all you want, in that case i would go with amazon. Amazon seems like a good deal to me since they dont tax merch. i calculated that i would be paying like a extra $160 just for the tax if went with apple. but what do i know ive yet to purchase one yet!

8. KindaSlowJohnny thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as I know, your sister still get her free ipod mini, if one of you is a student. I mean, all the sutdent union requires is the the ups thingys from both the mac and ipod, along with the rebate form (which can be obtain if you're a student). So i think you could just buy either or both of the items from anywhere, or steal them from someone that doesn't want the boxes. Personally i think making us cut up the boxes is a crime on humanity. But, that's just me.

9. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

That's the only down side. The check comes in like 2 or 3 months, but you would have already saved like $160 for tax, so it's not really it's a big deal. Assuming you have enough money to pay for the rebate.