Cheap digital camera?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wordmunger, Nov 29, 2004.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'd like to get the kids (age 11 and 13) their own digital cameras for christmas. The kids are still young enough that they're likely to lose them, so I don't want to get anything too expensive. I'm looking for something less than $100, ideally closer to $50. It would be really cool if the camera had the ability to record quicktime movies, and if it came with a reasonable amount of memory, it wouldn't even need to have a removable memory card. Any suggestions? Any other must-have features for kids?

2. neut macrumors 68000

neut

it's hard to find a decent one with zoom and flash. most under $100 are those >1MP webcams or keychain cams.

i bought this one for my soon to be 8yo. http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CX6200-R

seems to be the best camera for the price. anything more and you'll easily spend more than $100... even for an off-brand.

peace.

3. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow. That's better than anything I've been able to find so far. We may have a winner!

4. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Cool. Just make sure you have rechargable batteries on standby!

5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Wow, no crap, that is a borderline good camera. Amazing I got a first edition Kodak digital camera which is about twice the size and no zoom and only 1MP. Takes OK pictures in daylight and good circumstances, but forget anything but close flash at night time. And I think it might have a fixed zoom, because reasonably close up it won't focus but if the shot trails off it gets more in focus. BAD first impression from digital photography.

That said, the linked one sound awesome by comparison.

6. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

Link

This should be great for kids. Plus there is a book to explain how to use it.

7. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, I've seen a lot of products like this one. I was hoping for a little better quality than this one, which seems a little sketchy to me: doesn't even spell out exactly how much memory it has, for example. And of course the kicker, no delivery by December 24.

8. neut macrumors 68000

neut

i ordered mine a week ago and it got to me in 3 days... but that was before thanksgiving.

the camera's a refurb and i have yet to open the manufacture's box. seems like it will be a decent camera. rechargable batteries are probably a good idea ... :)

peace.

9. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, I didn't want to get a refurb, so I found the same camera (the Kodak) on Amazon for about $5 more. Thanks for the tip--looks like a great bargain!

10. neut macrumors 68000

neut

nice. :)

too bad i didn't catch that offer... free shipping too. :mad:

peace. :)

11. cschell macrumors newbie

Another good deal

We were looking around the web looking for a good starter camera for our 9 year old. We found the Kodak deal but also came across this camera:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1026768&Tab=7&NoMapp=0

This is an HP PhotoSmart 635 camera for $69.99 after a $20 rebate. It has a 3x zoom and a couple more advanced features than the Kodak. Everyone else seems to want at least $149 for this camera with no rebate. From what I've heard Tiger Direct is a pretty reputable site too.

You'll pay some shipping, but nothing terrible.

Also, if you're looking to buy on or before Nov. 30th they have a great deal on a Viking 128 MB SD card for the camera ($10.00 after rebate).

That's the package we just ordered for our son -- pretty good bargain for the price!

Good luck and happy holidays! :)

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The HP has optical zoom, which is better than the Kodak with its digital zoom. Seems to me like the HP is the best deal so far. It has expandable memory, and it's also got .1 megapixel more, but not that that the extra .1 will matter. Worth the $20, if you ask me.

I got my first digital camera at 13. I spent $500 on it, and it has served me very well. Don't underestimate the responsibility of a 13 year old. ;) :)

13. neut macrumors 68000

neut

wow, that's pretty good... if you don't mind waiting for the rebate. i can't really afford the the $90+ to purchase it. the $75 i paid was about all i can handle at the moment. that's a nice camera (for the money) though. :)

nice find.

peace.

14. joanroth macrumors newbie