Cheap DVD Burner For my Macbokok

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobber205, Jul 6, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

What do you guys recommend for my MacBook. Even though I can use XP now with BootCamp ;), I would most like to use OS X to burn (partly because I only have the minimum 5 gigs on my windows partition).

Any recommendations?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

The real cheaps ones won't last you a month. With DVD burners you need to think about RW and +/- capabilty too. HP makes some nice mid-market ones. I own one and love it.

3. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

5. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Holy!

That's out of my budget range. I got the Superdrivelees MacBook saving me 150 dollars so I could get a cheaper external one.

That's WAY too much.

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Understandable, but typically, a good external drive will run you more than an internal one of the same or better quality. This is because an external DVD writer is basically an internal drive with a box around it, plus a USB 2.0 bridge.

Although I'll admit the model I suggested isn't the cheapest you can purchase, you may have made the wrong decision about not getting the superdrive.

eBay?

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, I have this one pnly with the NEC 3500 without the Lightscribe tech. in it and it's been rock solid. http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10311 Also look into the clearance corner as some are going as low as $69 for a FW drive.
    Well they had some early today but just watch for them as they go quick.

8. mlrproducts macrumors 6502

You should be able to get a good drive for $30 to $35 shipped. Put it in an external enclosure, for what $25 too, and there you go.

Head on over to Newegg.com to get both. Look for their daily deals to get the drive. Then go for the enclosure and get the cheapest one that has a decent rating.

9. generik macrumors 601

generik

I'd second the NEC recommendation. Damned solid drive. IMO only 2nd to Plextors.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Burners are only made by a few manufacturers (Pioneer, Plextor, Liteon, etc) and then rebadged for brands like HP. There aren't any cheap ones, just some OEM ones straight from the manufacturer and other ones wrapped up in pretty packaging by companies like HP and LaCie and sold for twice as much.

11. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Well I suppose your right with that, but if you go to night market in Chinatown you can easily find defective hardware here anyways.

Thanks for the insight.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, yeah, I think buying a DVD burner off a street in Chinatown is a bad idea is a given ;)

A burner from a store, such as NewEgg, should be fine.

Anyways, back to recommendations. I've got an OEM Pioneer dual layer burner in my G5 and it works great. I think the burner should be around 50 bucks now. Get that, get an external enclosure, probably about another 30, and there you go.

13. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

What kind of cord do I need (on average). I have a spare USB 2.0 cord laying around...

14. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

If you need a FW cable I have one for sale here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=198390 that is if you get a case that has FW/usb 2.0, FW would be the better way to go ;) By the way LaCie had an external d2 FW dvd drive (DL, 16x and all the bells you could want yesterday for $79) however they come with really short FW cables (mine came with a 12 or 18" 6 to 6 pin) way to short for me unless your going to piggy back (aka daisy chain) a few HDD/DVD drives.