Cheap Emac/Imac advice required

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gagandeeptiwana, Jun 10, 2004.

1. gagandeeptiwana macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to the world of Mac and I would like advice on where I can pick up a cheap G4 Emac or iMac for around £350?

I know I can purchase a brand new one from apple for £550 but I can't afford to spend that much at the moment. I don't mind the machine being 2nd hand or refurbished, any advice would be greatly appericated.

Thanks,

G

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Ebay?

There was a 700MHz combo model that just went on ebay.co.uk for £350.

You may also want to check out John Lewis stores as they sell old stuff off cheaper.

I've never seen that many of them on the Apple UK refurb store. I guess they must be pretty reliable ;)

Seriously though the extra £200 will buy you a much better emac (a 1.25GHz) so if you can find the money do try to get a new one. If you're a student you can get one for £516 from the Apple Education store.

3. gagandeeptiwana thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice caveman_uk. I have an NUS card so would I be able to get one from the apple education store cheaper?

eBay ones tend to go for more than £350 usually.

Cheers,

G

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Some of the prices for macs on ebay UK are stupid. You could buy a new one for about the same! The one I spotted was a good price though

Bear in mind that emacs are heavy old buggers and any ebay sale will add about £20-£25 for postage. Apple doesn't charge on stuff over £65. The edu store for the UK is here