Cheap, fast laser printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Brigrat, May 25, 2005.

1. Brigrat macrumors member

Greetings!

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive, moderately fast laser printer for my home office. I see that Brother makes some very inexpensive laser printers, but in my experience, there is probably a reason they are 1/3 the cost.

Do any of you have any recomendations?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

don't buy brother. you are correct there is a reason why they are a 1/3 off. the hardware isn't that good, but still works. the sticking point of why they really suck is software support. their software drivers are horrible in my opinion.

i'd recommend a hp 1200. the hp 1000 aren't mac compatible, or are cheap piece of crap on the pc. you can get a usb and network compatible model. 1200 is basically perfect for a small business or home office. i do wish it was a bit smaller though.

3. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

HP LaserJet 1010

I really reccommend the HP LaserJet 1010 -- I use it with my PowerBook and is an excellent printer. I think they've also been end-of-lined so you should be able to pick up a cheap one.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Unlike superbovine, I can't say I have had one problem with my two brother printers. Had a HL-1040 until the Drum needed replacing, but instead of buying a new drum, I scored a HL-2040 for $100 at officeMax a little while back and it continues to be the little printer that could.

Although I will concede that the 2040 is nowhere near as solid looking/feeling as the 1040. They seem to be using cheaper plastics but it cranks out the printouts.

5. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Personally, I sell Brother, Canon, and Hewlett-Packard laser jets and I hands down recommend the HP systems. The HPs are the systems that we have had the least problems with them coming back. They are great, high-quality laser jets at great prices. You can get the 1012 on-sale with Mail-in Rebates for about $125 from time to time.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

my big problem was with the software.

7. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i second the hp 1012, which is quite fast, good quality, and works flawless. the drivers are already in Tiger (had to install in Panther) and i haven't had to change the toner yet (bought last summer). i think you can get it for $99 if you look around with rebates. good deal.